Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    universe Posts: 77, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2008, 06:01 AM
    Critique my poem
    Don't look too close should you see love's beauty burning bright
    Stand back a bit then look once more at such a glorious sight.
    When viewed so near it might distort and fool the naked eye.
    And everything you saw at first was nothing but a lie.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 17, 2008, 06:04 AM
    Very nice, you have talent and insight
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2008, 12:57 PM
    I like it! It has a profoundness to it. Is there any particular reason that gave you the inspiration to write it?
    iamthetman Posts: 105, Reputation: 8

Mar 17, 2008, 01:10 PM
    I love it!

Lots of stuff to think about in there. Great job.
    happy711 Posts: 215, Reputation: 4

Mar 22, 2008, 08:02 PM
    Great job. You should add more to it to make it even better.
    Alias652 Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Mar 25, 2008, 01:18 AM
    The poem is very insightful, profound, and meaningful. I highly recommend you continue to write poems because I think your potential as a writer will grow with more time and become more introverted. Although I personally wouldn't want you to become too introverted because sometimes poets like that become too abstract to be tangible. I like your universal message. I just wanted to mention the introverted part because my poems aren't exactly like yours, but they aren't very introverted either. Don't hate me. You asked for your poem to be critiqued, so I have some more additional comments. Your message and point is conceptual and literal. It's a beautiful balance. But I think if you focused more on how you felt and less on how you wrote, words would come out more naturally if that makes sense. I just feel like poems like yours flow beautifully when it sounds less like broken down sentences or more like our subconscious or emotions are communicating with us. Again, I think this poem is great. And it's just my opinion. Don't hold it against me. One non-negotiable thing, though, is definitely continue to write about topics like these. It's important to explore your potential as a poet by experimenting with other styles, but never lose your identity. And don't allow others to discourage you. If something doesn't work for you, don't force it. I don't care if everyone in the world hates your poems. You shouldn't be writing for others anyway. I think it's great that you're seeking criticism about your poems, but I feel like when you stop seeking other peoples opinion and you focus more on yourself, that's when you'll evolve as a poet. Poems like these are supposed to come from you, your views, your experiences, your perspectives. You, you, you.
    Alias652 Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Mar 25, 2008, 03:18 PM
    I actually disagree with one of the reviewers. I like how short this poem is. I think if more is added, it may run the risk of sounding like an explanation because I imagine your personal experiences influenced you. If you continue to focus on that, it may sound more like journaling. Now, if you began journal entries like this and added more context, I think it would be beautiful. It would probably be insightful and epiphanies might occur. But I feel like if you added to the poem, it might have more a personal touch, which would be great for you. But for strangers reading this poem, I personally like how universal the message is. By personalizing it, it'll make it unique, but it can split in the reader's mind. But this viewpoint is definitely subjective. I feel this way because when I read your poem, although I know that it's someone else's experience being expressed, I felt like the poem was speaking to me. I like that. Maybe I'm just selfish like that. One of the things I love about poetry is how it conforms people into a more introverted mindset. With time I imagine it'll happen to you. At that point I suggest revising this poem, not to replace your original piece but so that you can view how you've grown as a poet.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2008, 03:30 PM
    Good poem, one that I would recite to others. Also very helpful advice to follow.
    Jack2794 Posts: 77, Reputation: 2

Mar 31, 2008, 03:44 AM
    I think it is great and it gets you thinking...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Poem. [ 2 Answers ]

How could I not see, what was ahead of me, the future I dreamed of the life I imagined, It all came to an end the day I realized it was just a dream A dream that I dream everyday and night for all my life, the day my faith left and my hope fade, was when I realize it was nothing more than a...

My poem about my boyfriend :P [ 6 Answers ]

My hot sexy Beast Troy, I love you an your boy. You are the key to my heart, Which I hope never falls apart. You are my best friend, Who no-matter what I'll defend. You make me stronge when I am weak, By your sweet kisses on my cheek. I hope our love never dies, For if it does I'll be...

Words to a poem [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know the words to a poem/saying which starts - Don't worry about what you cannot change don't try to change what you cannot??

A Poem [ 3 Answers ]

A Different Christmas Poem The embers glowed softly, and in their dim Light, I gazed round the room and I cherished the Sight. My wife was asleep, her head on my chest, My daughter beside me, angelic in rest. Outside the snow fell, a blanket of white, ...

Poem [ 4 Answers ]

Can someone explain this poem? A morning-glory at my window satisfies me more than the metaphysics of book

View more questions Search