catting Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2006, 03:40 PM
    Max and min points
    How do you find the maximum and the minimum point of a qudratic eqaution?:D
    happybisaya Posts: 68, Reputation: 6

Feb 2, 2006, 04:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by catting
    how do you find the maximum and the minimum point of a qudratic eqaution?:D
    I am going to give you an example, since you did not give us an equation to go with your question.
    f(x)=3x^2 + 12x - 7 ; this is an equation of a parabola ; the parabola opens up since the first term is positive (3x^2) ; this will have a minimum value
    to find the minimum value: solve for your vertex (h,k); h=-b/2a ; where your first term is marked a ; your second term is marked b.
    h=-b/2a
    h=-12/2(3)
    h=-12/6
    h=-2; this is your x
    now to solve for k; just replace your x's in your equation with -2 and solve; k is your y which is -19. y=-19 is your minimum value.
    You can tell whether you will have a minimum or maximum value by your first term; if it is negative (-), then you will have a maximum value; if it is positive (+), then you will have a minimum value.
    Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Week points of body [ 1 Answers ]

Where is the week points of body

Can you get three points for tinted windows [ 2 Answers ]

Got pulled over for my front tinted windows and am in the process of getting tree points on my licence, I have been told from different people that I should appell against this because you should not get three points for this offence. Is anyone in the know about this thanks. :o

Isoelectric points and pH problems [ 1 Answers ]

Hello there, I am lost when it comes to pH. Please help me with the following problems asap. I don't know how to do them 1) What is the isoelectric point of the tripeptide Ala-Glu-Asn? 2) If you add 1ml of .2 N NaOH to 100ml of .02 M phosphate buffer, pH 7.0, what would be the resulting pH...

View more questions Search