Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mbl16 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2008, 04:36 AM
    numb hand
    48 hours ago about I woke up in the middle of the night my arm had fallen asleep.. That's no big deal I did what I normally do I use my other hand to move the arm to a better location.. I did this then I accidentally hit the wrist of my numb arm and it felt extremely weird.. Since then I have small portion of my hand that won't "wake up" its numb all around the thumb on the top portion of my hand my palm is fine.. it's the sides of my thumb and the top of the thumb down to my wrist..

Does anyone know what may be the problem and how I may be able to fix it? I am in a band and play guitar and it gets really annoying when playing =/
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 17, 2008, 06:00 AM
    Just an idea from what has happened to me. Because you use that thumb in a repetitive motion over a long period, it could be carpal tunnel in your wrist. Have it checked out by a doctor. That condition doesn't get better and there is no topical or quick fix for it.

Mar 17, 2008, 06:17 AM
    But with carpal tunnel it doesn't stay numb all the time does it? I am not feeling any pain in it.
    Expert

Mar 17, 2008, 04:00 PM
    Many people with carpal tunnel syndrome have gradually increasing symptoms over time. The first symptoms of CTS may appear when sleeping, and typically include numbness and paresthesia (a burning and tingling sensation) in the fingers, especially the thumb, index, and middle fingers.[3] These symptoms appear at night because many people sleep with bent wrists which further compresses the carpal tunnel. If the median nerve is already under stress, the increased compression of the bent wrist creates the numbness and tingling. Difficulty gripping and making a fist, dropping objects, and weakness are symptoms of progression. In early stages of CTS individuals often mistakenly blame the tingling and numbness on restricted blood circulation and they believe their hands are simply "falling asleep". In chronic cases, there may be wasting of the thenar muscles (the body of muscles which are connected to the thumb)

It is important to note that unless numbness or paresthesia are among the predominant symptoms, it is unlikely the symptoms are primarily caused by carpal tunnel syndrome. In effect, pain of any type, location, or severity with the absence of significant numbness or paresthesia is not likely to fall under this diagnosis.
    mcb7 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Mar 18, 2008, 12:24 AM
    I am having kind of the same problem. Just my right hand would go numb & a sharp pain would go through my thumb. It would make my thumb feel like it was going to split apart. Anyway, I wound up going to my sisters chiropractor for my neck & he told me that I had pinched nerves & that's what is making my hand numb. I am not saying that that is what is wrong with you. Good luck!

Mar 19, 2008, 10:52 PM
    Well for both those options what are the most probable treatments? Anything I can do at home? I heard if its CTS that surgery is an option but I play guitar in a band and I don't want to find that the surgery is going to effect my guitar playing ability.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2008, 11:27 PM
    Mbl16 - I agree with both ( Tickle & Mcb7 ) They are both right, Now what just happened to me last NOVEMBER< I had the numbness in my little finger, and funny feelings, First week of DECEMBER I went to a NEOALGEST SURGIN , He had mri's run then the next day he had EMG done IT proved that the troble was at my elbow, I had a nerve that was being compressed, and I was going to have to have surgery done on it . Now before I went to doctor it had moved to my ring finger and to my middle finger. The doctor said that I could lose complete use of my left hand if I did'nt have the surgery, He said what they would have to do is to take the nerve from where it is and move it up to the inside center of my elbow. Well I had it done 1 week before CHRISTMAS and I got the right feelings and the numbness out of the ring & middle finger but it is still the same in my little finger, the doctor said that I had waited to long before comeing to him , and that it might take 6 to 8 mo . Before comeing back to reg. life again and maybe never. SO my answer is not to wait to long ,before going to the doctor> OH I forgot to tell you that my numbness and funny feeluing's had went all the way to the elbow . Good Luck & GOD BLESS < I HOPE EVERYTHING TURNS OUT OK FOR YOU . ( PS Don't WAIT TO LONG <BEFOR GOING TO DOCTOR )!! F.B.E.
    aclevenger Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2012, 11:14 AM
    Is it drugs my buddy had the saqme thing happen to him twice
    Expert

Jul 5, 2012, 04:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by aclevenger View Post
    is it drugs my buddy had the saqme thing happen to him twice
    Where did you read we said drugs was the cause? No, don't believe so, it is a physical, neurological reason.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I numb my gums? I need sleep! [ 6 Answers ]

My gum is so sore. To the back left of my lower jaw there is a lump behind my tooth and it is so sore. I can't talk and it kills me to swallow. What can I do to numb it so that I can sleep until the dentist appointment??

Feeling Numb. [ 11 Answers ]

I'm not sure why, but lately I've been feeling so numb. I feel like nothing is real and what I do ahs no perpous, like I am a wind lost in a sea of clouds. Despite my want to help others I notice it becoming ever harder because I myself cannot feel. I feel anger and I feel sadness, but that is all....

Air handler horizontal left hand or right hand? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference in a horizontal left hand or horizontal right hand application as far as an air handler? Also, which end would be the return and/or supply? The "a" coil is at one end and the blower motor is at the other end. Thanks

My mouth is numb [ 7 Answers ]

I am having numbness in my mouth and the other day I had a leg that would not work it was like it was numb and my hands have been going numb also. Any suggestions on what to do. I am tired of going to the ER or doctor and them finding nothing wrong. Please help if you have any ideas.:confused:

Why do I go numb? [ 10 Answers ]

Hello all, I've just found this site and have spent a goodly time reading the previous pages. I'm curious to see if I can gain some insight into my current relationship 'issues', so here's the breakdown: I met this girl about a month and a half ago, and was immediately smitten. The first 15...

View more questions Search