Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shurei Murasaki Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2008, 11:47 PM
    Age Differents.
    Can a 18 year old date a 14 year old legally anywhere?
    XenoSapien Posts: 627, Reputation: 42

Mar 17, 2008, 04:10 AM
    I doubt it. Certainly, not here in the midwest.

XenoSapien
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 17, 2008, 06:50 AM
    An 18 yr old can legally DATE a 14 yr old almost anywhere. There are no laws that restrict DATING between disparate ages. However, were they to engage in sexual acts, that would break the law in most places. The age of consent being 16 in most places.

However, I would also have to say that the differences in social status between an 18 and a 14 yr old are huge. While 4 years doesn't matter when both are adults, it does when one or both is not an adult. An 18 yr old is at a different place in their life than a 14 yr old. An 18 yr old is going to college or worried about finding a job. A 14 yr old is just beginning to learn about relations between the sexes.

So I would tread very lightly if you are the 18 yr old. And if you are the 14 yr old, I would be concerned about why he would be interested in you.

Mar 17, 2008, 08:44 AM
    You're taking a BIG risk by dating. Dating is just a word. No, there is no law, but the ASSUMPTION is going to be that there is sexual activity. And whenever the 14 year old decides to be vindictive at the 18 year-old, all they have to do is say that they had sex. Hence, you are taking a BIG RISK.

I don't think my response warranted a negative mark, ScottGem, but I guess it's you again...

XenoSapien

Mar 17, 2008, 09:11 AM
    You have a good point about the risk, but there has to be proof. So, if he doesn't have sex, then she can claim it all she wants.

Sorry, but your answer was wrong, plain and simple. That warrants a negative comment.

Mar 17, 2008, 09:21 AM
    How can you prove it? It's he said, she said, Scott, and they are going to believe the word of the 14 year-old more than the 18 year-old more times than not. Just like they'll believe a five year-old that says 'daddy touched me'.

XenoSapien

Mar 17, 2008, 10:16 AM
    Sorry, but in a court of law there has to be some coorboration for a conviction. All his defense attorney has to do is point out that he broke up with her and she is being vindictive and they are liable to believe him more. Juries are generally reluctant to ruin a guy's entire life without more proof then the victim's say so.

Mar 17, 2008, 03:58 PM
    All one has to do is look at the Duke LaCrosse team incident. By the time they realize the 14 year-old is lying, you've spent thousands of dollars, lost jobs, friendships, and summarily ruined. Then, you get found innocent.

XenoSapien

Mar 17, 2008, 04:33 PM
    But you still get found innocent. Also, the Duke thing was a high profile issue. This would be unlikely in a normal case. While any accusation is taken seriously, prosecution doesn't occur unless the prosecutor feels they win theit case. And a he said/she said isn't going to get a prosecution.

Stop trying to support a position where you are wrong. You have a habit of doing that. And retailiatory ratings are not going to endear you to anyone.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 17, 2008, 04:36 PM
    Well I would not want to be a low income person who is using a public defender, no money to hire anyone, and have a jury looking at a poor 14 year old crying and her parents testifing.

I am not sure they may not be up the river in many cuorts
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2008, 05:39 AM
    [QUOTE=XenoSapien]How can you prove it? It's he said, she said, Scott, and they are going to believe the word of the 14 year-old more than the 18 year-old more times than not. Just like they'll believe a five year-old that says 'daddy touched me'.

What part of don't contact me privately don't you understand?

If you are too much of a coward to post your rantings on the board then keep them to yourself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Don't look my age? [ 22 Answers ]

Today I had someone check my I.D. to see if I was old enough to buy something that I have been old enough to purchase for 23 years! I'm a bit happy to look so young and hope it is a sign of a long life ahead, but at the same time think I need to look a bit older for people to take me seriously...

Differents between salary and hourly payroll [ 1 Answers ]

I was wanting to know about salary payroll. My husband get salary but yet if he miss just 5 hours in the day they are taking off his pay. But yet he works 60 hours a week with no over time pay. Is this legal?

"Dark Age" or "Golden Age" of Human Existence? [ 3 Answers ]

History shows us over and over that all great civilizations eventually come to an end. It stands then that our Civilization (as we know it) will come to an end sometime as well. Do you think the world is slipping into a "Dark Age", or are we about to emerge into a "Golden Age" ? We seem to...

View more questions Search