Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gelsus Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2008, 08:43 PM
    Sewer gas when windy
    I live in a single story house which is 5 years old -

I get a strong sewer smell in the house especially in summer when there are moderately high winds.

Also, the water in the toilet bowls moves when its windy.

I've changed the wax seals on both toilets.

I've even had a smoke test from the main sewer line and there were no leaks!!

I was wondering if putting vent pipe caps on would help?

Thanks for any help

Geoffrey:)
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2008, 09:59 PM
    Best guess. I hope someone has better ideas.

The house may be too tight. The air pressure outside is much greater than the pressure inside.

Can you comment on how well the house is insulated against air infiltration? What type of heating system? Fireplace? Does the smell happen when a door or window is open?

Is there anything about the location of the pipes and nearby roof slopes that could divert winds into the roof vents?
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2008, 10:27 PM
    Gelsus - One thing you can try is to put a45 degree fitting with about 12"to 18" piece of pvcand another 45 degree turn them in the oppsit way that the wind comes from. You can't put caps on the vents, Make sure that all drain traps have water in them all the time ,even if you have to turn the water on in the second bathroom sink if you have one . Kiss may be on to something but in the summer with the a/c on and blowing there should not be very much differencial in outside and inside pressure. Like Kiss said it could be from an open window or a door oppening up and the wind blowing in as the door is opened up . Good Luck And GOD BLESS ::: F.B.E. HELLO KISS F>B>E>
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2008, 10:32 PM
    Well, there is probably different versions of caps. Think chimney caps, not plumbing caps.
    Talked to a guy in the hardware store once who was making screens (caps) for his vents to keep the critters out.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 17, 2008, 04:43 AM
    Hey Gelsus:

Kiss is heading you in right direction.

Here is a pic. Of a few different roof vent caps that may help.. there are many other versions.

Check out www.plumbing supply for the dome cap.

Check out Septic Solutions Inc. - Serving Your Wastewater Needs for the dome shaped filter vent (click on online store at left.. then scroll down to find this)

Couple of them are filter caps, primarily for septics, but may work well here, too.

Let us know what you think... Mark
    Attached Images

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 17, 2008, 08:53 AM
    I agree with Mark. You can add caps to deflect the wind and keep critters out but I'm still thinking this isn't your problem. When wind blows across your vent pipe it does not blow downward, if anything it oulls air/gas up the pipe due to the Bernoulli principle you learned about in science class. YouTube - Bernoulli Principle If your traps are all working then I'd suspect the sewer gas is rolling off your roof and getting pulled inside the house. Do you know if any of your fixtures have AAVs instead of a P trap?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer Smell When Windy [ 5 Answers ]

Hi All, I'm new to this board and hope this makes sense. I live in a newer house (7 years old). There is a toilet in the basement. When it is windy outside, there is a septic smell coming from that toilet area. This toilet drains into an ejector pump that goes out to the septic tank. It...

Sewer gas - did I hook up to main sewer line correctly? [ 3 Answers ]

Moved a mobile home in and ran the sewer line to the main line - on some days I smell sewer gas, and I think it's coming from the vents on the house! - I want to know if I should o had put a "P" trap or something in line before hooking up to main sewer line? I have seen other places saying to...

Sewer smell inside on windy days [ 5 Answers ]

All, My wife and I built our house 3 years ago in a high wind area (30-60 mph) and have had the wind suck our p-traps dry with every wind storm (Usually over 40 mph wind). I have done some research and found out that the vent pipes on the roof could be the culprit. I was wondering if there are...

Sewer gas [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem with the smell of sewer gas smell coming after we take a shower or a bath, that is the only time it happens. We have a drain in the basement that we plugged because it never gets used and there is water in the trap. Where could it be coming from and why?

View more questions Search