Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coachdjo Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2008, 04:22 PM
    Asbestos floor tiles?
    We are replacing some wall to wall carpeting. The other day when the installer came out to measure the room he said that the tiling underneath was asbestos. We are putting new wall to wall carpet down over that floor (which is not brittle and is intact). 2 questions:

1. Where can we have a piece of the tile checked to make sure it is asbestos?
    2. Should we have the tiles removed if it is asbestos?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2008, 04:41 PM
    If you have children you definitely want to have the asbestos removed.
    You have to make sure you take all precautions on removal, bagging and proper disposal.

How to Properly Remove Cement Asbestos-Board Siding From Owner-Occupied, Single-Family Residences Only

You can type asbestos testing lab & your state/county in the search engine to see where to get it tested.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 16, 2008, 04:42 PM
    No, there is no reason to remove the tile. If it is asbestos it is best left alone. I don't know where or how you could have it tested but don't let anyone tell you that they can tell you that its asbestos by looking at it or by its size or anything like that . Had one poster that was told at Home Depot that because hers was 9" square it was asbestos.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 19, 2008, 07:55 AM
    As long as the asbestos is non-friable it is better left in place. Asbestos did a lot of harm to folks who worked in that industry or who worked in close quarters that were insulated with asbestos like a Navy ship. Homeowner have a much less concentrated dose if its in their home but I agree its not something you want around your family. Removal can be very costly and the process can stir it up if not done by a licensed asbestos contractor. I would further recommend that folks do not accept advise from Home Center employees as fact.
    the1unv Posts: 285, Reputation: 31

Mar 20, 2008, 02:13 PM
    I would not touch it. If it is all in tack leave it. Install a sub floor and lay your carpet. Once you start removing it (if it is asbestos) you are opening a big can problems. This is a home test you can get to check for yourself. If your are concerned I would check it out.
    Mike

EXPRESS FAX SERVICE
    Express Service is available for an additional $15 per sample, or a total of $35 per sample. In order to use the express service, you must send the sample(s) , the information form and proper payment to PRO-LAB using an overnight shipping company such as Federal Express, Airborne Express or UPS. Send the samples to PRO-LAB, 1675 N. Commerce Parkway, Suite 100, Weston, FL 33326. (Express sample can only be received Monday - Friday). Within 72 hours of our receipt, you will receive your faxed results. PRO-LAB® 1675 N. Commerce Parkway, Suite 100 - Weston, FL 33326

The phone # is 1-800-427-0550 or you can check it out at Black Mold Test Kits - Home Safety Kits by PRO-LABŪ
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Mar 20, 2008, 02:24 PM
    Do you know when the tile was installed?

Mar 20, 2008, 08:33 PM
    Yes, amricca this is a good question. If the tile was installed after 1978 the chance of it containing asbestos is slight. I would say if the tile is less than 25 years old you are safe.
    Mike
    coachdjo Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2008, 03:53 PM
    The tile was installed when the house was built, around 1971.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 21, 2008, 04:52 PM
    So its possible that there is asbestos in the tiles, I'd leave them in place and carpet over them. Asbestos insulation on a boiler would be another matter, that would have to go.

Mar 22, 2008, 07:15 AM
    I agree with ballengerb1 as well. I would not worry about it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hardwood floor removal-asbestos [ 1 Answers ]

We have removed our carpet and have discovered old tile-like hardwood (9" x 9" squares). We haven't decided what to replace it with, but we're thinking of trying to refinish the wood. (Is it worth trying to fix?) A lot of the pieces are broken. Problem: It is painted (white and army green)......

Old glue on floor from stick-on tiles [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! I removed the old damaged stick-on tiles from my bathroom floor, and the floor is terrazzo. I do understand that this kind of floor is porous so there is going to be some difficulty in getting it clean. The glue surface left behind is rough, gritty and is holding a lot of dirt. It looks...

Asbestos floor tile [ 1 Answers ]

I have the 8x8 asbestos floor tile in my basement. I want to install new vinyl tile. What is the best way to do this? My thought is to put down a thin layer of durrock over the existing tile and then installing the new vinyl on top of that. How should I secure the durrock to the old vinyl...

Floor Tiles [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, My home is over 5 years old and I would like to install floor tiles, so, my question is, what do I have to do to the old concrete floor before I install the tiles. Thank you, Rhondine

View more questions Search