Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Roscoe1 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2008, 10:31 AM
    Romex between floors
    Hello,

I recently asked a question regarding protection of romex between floors. I was told there was no requirement for this and that I had misunderstood what was being said. The article I am reading is in the 2008 NEC. Article 334.15 (B) Protection from physical damage. It says where passing through a floor the cable shall be enclosed in rigid metal conduit, Intermediate conduit, or other approved means extendind at least six inches above floor... I am reading the above referenced article which starts on 334.12 uses not permitted. I have seen conduit used on commercial jobs before between floors... is this what they are referring to? Commercial and not residential?

Thanks Todd,
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Mar 16, 2008, 11:04 AM
    If this IS true you can add it to the LONG list of STUPID changes to the NEC for 2008.

Mar 16, 2008, 11:07 AM
    Roscoe, I was wondering where I saw this before. It was right on this forum.
    WHY bother starting a whole new thread to ask the same question??

Sorry, I don't follow the 2008 so I don't know the changes very well.
    Does your area follow it yet??

Mar 16, 2008, 11:42 AM
    OK, so looking at that section in my opinion this does not apply to wall cavities drilled between floors. After all, this is NOT floor space, so the cables are not passing through a floor. It clearly states, "passing through a floor". Not "passing between floors."
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 16, 2008, 06:14 PM
    Note that 334.15 is titled Exposed Work, wiring in wall cavities would not be exposed.

If you had a cable going thruogh the middle of you living room floor, you probably would have to have it in conduit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Romex between floors [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am wiring the new addition to my house. It is two floors above ground and a basement below. Am I allowed to drill between floors and run Romex from one floor to another... using drilled holes, or do I need to have a conduit chase between floors for the romex to pass through. I have...

Romex wire [ 2 Answers ]

Is Romex Wire Legal In New York City?

Exposed romex [ 2 Answers ]

Does revised nec permit romex in exposed area of work shed?

Romex or bx [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My niece is having some electrical work done in her hi rise condo, in manhattan NYC I notice romex cable being used, I always thought bx cable was code for NYC Any info is appr. Thank you

Exposed Romex [ 2 Answers ]

I started to put down batts insulation in the attic space above garage and noticed that the wiring coming from one of the outlets was stripped a little too much and one of the leads of the romex is actually exposed outside of the electrical box. I'd like to correct this before putting insulation...

View more questions Search