Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    markabb61 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2008, 09:15 AM
    NC state taxes for part time residents
    If I claim to be a part time resident of North Carolina, do I have to pay NC state taxes on income from stock sales and savings interest. I have a permanent home/residence in FL. My current income was generated from a company that does work in NC.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 1, 2008, 01:33 PM
    If your income is from a NC-based business and you were NEVER in NC itself, you not only do NOT have to report income from the stock sales and savings interest, but the wages from the NC-based company are ALSO exempt from NC taxes.

North Carolina has NO LEGAL STANDING to tax your income unless you LIVE or WORK within the confines of the state borders. This fact was decided in tax court in the 1950s.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Definition of Part Time State Resident for Income Taxes [ 4 Answers ]

I am a project manager working for an engineering and construction management company. My office is located in NC. I have just been assigned a project in NY. I visit the job site in NY every 2 weeks and stay for about 12 days, so I am in NY about 40% of the time. I do have an apartment in NY...

Part time residency in the state of Oregon for tax purposes [ 1 Answers ]

So, I work in Alaska and I have a mailing address in Alaska, but I'm also renting an apratment in Oregon, and I travel back and forth every month. I earn nothing while in Oregon, and spend less than 6 months a year in Oregon. A friend advised me to file as a part time resident, and that way I could...

Taxes: part time resident MA [ 1 Answers ]

I was in MA from 01/09/06 to 08/17/06(around 220 days ) then I moved to Texas. While filing the status will it be Part time resident or full time resident since I was in MA for more than 180 days? Thanks, Mav~

Spouse full time residents in separate states : states taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I got married in Dec 2006. He was a full time CA resident in 2006 and still lives there and got income only from CA. I was a fulltime Kentucky resident in 2006 and still live here and got my income only from KY. We can file federal taxes jointly. But what do we do for state...

Part time or Non-resident? Which state? [ 5 Answers ]

I filed an extension for 2005 taxes and they are due on the 15th (Yes I realize I really waited too long) I have a simple question, and am using taxcut and haven't seen it mentioned anywhere so far. In 2005 I lived and worked in MA, Made wages, received a W-2 from these wages. In July, I quit...

View more questions Search