Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chucktr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2006, 10:10 AM
    Type 2 Diabetes: effects of carbohydrates
    I have recently been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and would like some specific information on how simple and complex carbohydrates are processed in the body. For example, I have been led to believe that complex carbohydrates are processed more slowly in the stomach, increasing blood sugar over a longer period than "simple" sugars. If I eat an evening meal containing rice or bread, roughly how long will it take these carbs to pass through my stomach so that they will not drive my blood sugar up while I sleep?

Also, advice on the Web is incredibly confusing and often given by questionable characters. One example is at: http://www.medical-library.net/sites...nutrition.html
    Where "Dr. Kennedy" states that "all dieticians are quacks."

I would greatly appreciate your advice.

Thanks!
    [email protected] Posts: 4, Reputation: 1
    -

Mar 28, 2006, 11:42 AM
    Type-2 - Non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM) - Known as adult-onset diabetes as the condition usually appears in patients over forty years of age. Type-2 is one of the fastest growing diseases in the western world and is usually what someone refers to when they say they are `diabetic`. The condition occurs when the body`s cells become resistant to the pancreatic hormone insulin, which regulates blood sugar levels, resulting in dramatically lowered sugar-absorption by the cells, and thus excess sugars remain in the blood, unable to be oxidised to produce energy.
    EP9Montana Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2006, 08:04 PM
    I recently became a diabetic, adult onset, type II. I was a gestational diabetic and once my daughters were born I was 37 and 38, I no longer required insulin.
    For over a decade I watched my diet and my blood sugar levels since my parents and both sets of grandparents were diabetics.
    Last spring I was cleaning up our camp site and poison ivy was in the brush. The rash was extremely uncomfortable and my doctor prescribed steroids to control the itching and swelling. I felt bad, excessive thirst, frequent urination, etc. Started checking sugars and no matter what I ate, couldn't keep them under control.
    Doctor put me on metformin and after nearly a month, I was finally able to level out my sugars. I took a diabetic education class offered by my insurance company with a dietician component which explained carbs, sugars, etc. Dieticians are supposed to be educated in proper food consumption to maintain a healthy body, just as your mechanic advises what type of oil you need to keep your car engine lubricated. You may find a dietician that you would consider a "quack" here or there, as you will in any walk in life.
    What I have learned is that everyone is different as are their body make up. No one is exactly the same nor does anyone have the same chemical make up. What works for one person may not work for another. That is why it is so important to work with a doctor that specializes in endocrinology and consult with a dietician to learn what foods respond to your body. If diet alone doesn't work medicines may be needed to supplement the diet. Exercise is another key, which I must admit I am not adhering to as I should.
    My mother was diagnosed with diabetes at the age of 35 and wasn't educated on diabetes. She thought that if she ate something bad, she just took her needles and that would take care of the sugar. I watched her lose her toes, feet then legs, her eyesight and finally die of a massive coronary. All because she didn't know how the uncontrolled disease damages all systems in the body. I've lived through 3rd stage breast cancer and diabetes scares me more because there is no cure. Some cancer's can be removed but nothing is permanent yet for diabetes. I have lymphedema because my lymphnodes had cancer and get major systemic infections which cause my sugar levels to rise and when the sugar is not under control, the infections are slow to resolve. You can't baby your body enough if you have diabetes. But you can live a long and healthy life if you listen to your body and control the sugar. I know it's a pain, but it's your life and you want to live life to the fullest. Good Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Side effects [ 4 Answers ]

Please can you tell me what side effects I will have to expect on superfact

Diabetes [ 2 Answers ]

I just had a bloodt test for diabetes and my doctor wants to see me again as it was a bit high, I have been told to stay awat from sweet things and carbos by another diabetic that I know, I was wondering if there is a possibility as after a meal with carbos in I am ill, usually my stomach, it plays...

3 yr. Old and type 1 diabetes? Hereditarily. [ 1 Answers ]

I have 3 children: 6 yr. old girl, 3 yr. old son, and a 5 month old daughter. The two younger ones' father has type 1 juvenile diabetes. He has to take insulin shots several times a day. I know that my children have only a slightly higher change to develop diabetes than others, but that still is...

3 yr. Old & type 1 diabetes? Hereditarily. [ 2 Answers ]

I have 3 children: 6 yr. old girl, 3 yr. old son, and a 5 month old daughter. The two younger ones' father has type 1 juvenile diabetes. He has to take insulin shots several times a day. I know that my children have only a slightly higher change to develop diabetes than others, but that still is...

View more questions Search