Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2008, 05:09 PM
    So what is the verdict here
    Obama says he is shocked that his Pastor preaches racist anti American things.
    A. Think he must of missed those few days going to church?
    B. Rarely went to church?
    C. Pastor really only did give a few of those sermons and managed to keep it out of all his other sermons?
    D. Other? your opinion here
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Mar 15, 2008, 08:19 PM
    Well since I don't have personal membership insight, I'll give you my opinion. I think Wright does believe what he preaches on Black theology as fact and probably gives it attention to some degree in most of his services. I suspect when he knowingly has Obama or Oprah in attendance, he does so in a mild form. Obama does not attends the church every Sunday, especially since he's been away heavily campaigning in the primaries and caucuses. I hope this helps.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Mar 15, 2008, 09:14 PM
    D. Mr. Obama's claimed ignorance of the facts strike me as a bit hollow. It would be analogous to trying to convince your wife, that an establishment you had frequented since the early 90s; which also had a bordello in the back room, and that you had no idea it was there. I think the honeymoon is over.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2008, 09:19 PM
    Obama knows fully well where his pastor stands on "the issues"; it is why Rev. Wright was dis-invited to Obama's announcement. I just wonder what Obama was thinking when he heard Wright say such things. I suppose Wright could have told Obama, "Those white folks, they are all so stupid", and he believed him.

Mar 15, 2008, 09:28 PM
    Wow! We have so much firsthand knowledge participating on this board. :rolleyes:
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2008, 01:56 AM
    Not only do I THINK that Obama was aware of the ideology of the parish (it is all over the web site of the church) ,but that he subscribes to the views espoused. The only way I see Obama salvaging his campaign at this point is for him to have a Mitt Romney moment . He needs to make a national address assuring America that he is not a proponent of the radical views of the church and the Rev Wright. He needs to convince me that if he chose the title of his book The Audacity of Hope from the inspiration Rev Wright gives him that he also did not consider as a title God Damn America . He contributed money to voluntarily listened to, and publicly defended a Rev who peddles racial warfare and anti-Americanism .That is a fact.

As Dark Crow pointed out ,and I mentioned on another posting ,he may get a pass as far as the Democrat nomination goes. 1st ;he probably cannot be stopped at this time ;and 2nd, the screeds of Rev Wright are echoes of many other Democrat radicals .It is nothing new if you have listened to Noam Chomsky,Ward Churchill, Michel Moore ,Cindy Sheehad ,Moveon.org,most of the contributors to the Huffpost. etc. Obama himself has said, “I don't think my church is actually particularly controversial.”

But in the general election we now have content in evaluating Obama's inspirational fluff and stuff rhetoric. We now know who the person who advises him and is his spiritual mentor,and that is a glimpse into his soul .How does he explain credibly a 20 year relationship with this hate-monger preacher ? It's all over for Obama because there is nothing he can say now except "WORDS"

Mar 16, 2008, 05:20 AM
    The premise of this question is skewed and with no other possibility than being answered with opinions... and sure we all have our own. But fact is that Obama already publicly addressed the issue of his Wright's remarks. All right my Republican friends, if Wright runs for president I wouldn't be voting for him either, but based on Hagee's theology he would garnish zero Catholic support, as he damns them to an eternal fiery furnace. Thank goodness Hagee's not running for president.
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2008, 06:10 AM
    I was only looking for opinions
    I get the same impression as youinz have said,
    How can you be involved with the church as much and as long as he has and not know where the Pastor stands.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2008, 06:43 AM
    Hello N0:

It's my opinion that you're not going to find a black preacher in THIS country who DOESN'T believe that stuff...

So, YOU think they should be saying the same things in black churches as whitey does in his church?? That shows just how out of touch you right wingers are.

excon
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2008, 06:53 AM
    No ex that is not what I am saying.
    I do not believe there are many if any black preachers in THIS country that believe that stuff but the fact is that OBAMA's Pastor IS saying this stuff and OBAMA says he never heard it before. It doesn't have anything to do with OTHER black preachers. I have been to MANY black churches so I am not out of touch at all with what they preach as a whole.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2008, 06:53 AM
    If he`s out of touch with pastors in general then he`s got my vote! :)
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2008, 06:56 AM
    Hi No.

I briefly saw this mess on the news. I am pulling back a bit from the election because our needs, once again, are being overshadowed by negative campaigining. I will tune back in a bit more focused when they start to pick a running mate.

But I got to tell you, I feel bad for this guy. Real bad. Could care less what his preacher thinks (unless he is picking him as his running mate).

I think, once again, this is to make him look bad because of the color of his skin.

I feel in my heart, America, we really haven't come very far, have we?

I am Catholic. I know my priest and Pastor love our Lord. I had a cousin who was a nun, as well as Aunts, am I to know how they stand on all issues.

Am I responsible for the sick (and I don't mean that harshly) men, who dressed as priest, and molested children... I think not.

This really hurts me to my heart.

We really have not come very far and maybe we even took a couple steps back.

See you when they pick a running mate :), as this is only child's play compared to what some may have up their sleeve.

Hillary even thought this was all wrong as she knows the climate in which all political figures are in and how it can burn you without you even knowing.

I really do feel bad for Barrack.
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2008, 06:59 AM
    The thing is that with OBAMA not doing the pledge of allegiance and some of his ties
    And him not wanting to say where he stands on his patriotism and some issues he is ignoring
    It makes me feel like he could be hiding something --really important.
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2008, 07:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    The thing is that with OBAMA not doing the pledge of allegiance and some of his ties
    and him not wanting to say where he stands on his patriotism and some issues he is ignoring
    it makes me feel like he could be hiding something --really important.

They are good points No - I don't discount that. But I did feel bad for him when I saw him on the news.

But then again, I felt bad for Britney, when she was shaving her head :o
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2008, 07:05 AM
    Yeah you feel bad but they made their own bed
    Question is what bed is Obama's??
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2008, 07:07 AM
    and him not wanting to say where he stands on his patriotism and some issues he is ignoring
    All that stuff has been answered and discounted.
    rodandy12 Posts: 227, Reputation: 24

Mar 16, 2008, 07:18 AM
    ...some issues he is ignoring
    Or the issues are being "spun" to make you feel that way.

On the church issue... There aren't any more Billy Grahams. Big churches are like everything else in the US. They are about big money. What one hears from the pulpit is what sells. In the black community what sells is "It's not your fault, it's whitey's fault." At high or low volume, the same song is heard. In white churches it's, "Don't worry, be happy."

This election is going to be nasty. The repubs have to find a way to attack Obama that doesn't make them look too racist. Watch for the variations on the theme they will be trying out in the near term. One of them is, "He knows racist black people." It is part of turning the issue of race around on him. Expect to hear many variations on that theme.

McCain doesn't have a great deal of money compared to the dems. But, there is a great amount of pac money that will be focused on what I said above. Their job is to attack Obama and not get much dirt on McCain. The pacs take the heat, but spin the argument in ways that take advantage of the white's fears of having a black president.

If this sort of thing bugs you, just ignore everything but statements about where the candidates stand on the issues. It will be tough sledding because lots of hot buttons are going to be pushed on both sides.
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2008, 09:18 AM
    I would like to vote Obama even though I am democrat I have just as much, maybe even more concerns about McCain. But Obama just seems to have a hidden side that I feel shaky about. I don't see that he discounted anything, just shook it off as insignificant.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2008, 09:20 AM
    Rodandy

We have known this issue for a year . Why is it that ABC ;hardly a part of us vast right wing conspiracy types is reporting this stuff after he is almost assured the nomination ? Why did they not vett this stuff a year ago ?
    Certainly they knew the ramblings of the racist Rev Wright .

Bobby

Again.. Hagee is not McCain's pastor .He is just one of many who has given him an endorsement . Should he reject it ? Yes... as suredly as Ron Paul should've rejected the endorsement of the Ayrian racists who gave him support. As I recall people back then said the endorsement does not reflect Paul's attitudes about race .

The difference here is a 20 YEAR RELATIONSHIP with this pastor and his teachings. They cannot be separated any more then President Bush's faith is from the man. Do you dispute that a critique of President Bush and his faith have been ongoing throughout his Presidency ? Do you dispute that the Huckster's and Romney's faith were campaign issues ? Why should Obama be exempt ?
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2008, 09:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    rodandy

The difference here is a 20 YEAR RELATIONSHIP with this pastor and his teachings. They cannot be separated
    EXACTLY what I have a problem with. With 20 yrs and the Pastor making racist and anti American statements I would have to find another church especially if I was considering wanting to become President someday. It is hard to over look and I doubt the Pastor hid his true feelings for only when Obama wasn't there unless he RARELY attended.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What punishment or verdict will I get for doing shoplifting worth 150$ [ 19 Answers ]

I rently got arrested for shoplifting items worth 150$ . I have not got the court date yet and I'm an immigrant and waiting for renewing my visa status next year. Now tat I got arrestedwill that be a trouble in entering the US again or gettig visa renewed... and do anyone know what will be the...

View more questions Search