Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kikiben Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2008, 04:03 PM
    Clarification on OPT tax exemptions?
    I have read conflicting answers to the question of whether someone is exempt from paying social security and medicare taxes on an OPT (F-1) visa.

So, my question is are you exempt? To make it very clear, are people working under OPT exempt from paying these taxes (particularly if you have been in the U.S. for less than five years)?

I have not seen anything in the IRS website (in Publication 519) that clearly addresses this answer. Maybe I overlooked it. I read that "students" are exempt from these taxes, but does this exemption also include students who are under OPT? Are people with OPT still considered non-residents?

I hope to get a clear answer to this question. Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 1, 2008, 01:08 PM
    Look at pages 46-51 of IRS Pub 519.

Most F-1 students ARE exempt from Social Security and Medicare taxes if they are working in jobs that are related to their field of study, especially if they are working under a CPT or OPT.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F-1(OPT) and H-1B Visa tax exemptions [ 1 Answers ]

I have looked at the similar questions and answers to mine, but I'm writing to clarify and confirm my own situation. I apologize if I am being repetitive. I am a Canadian citizen. I came to the U.S. in August, 2005 on an F-1 Visa. I completed my M.A. at an American university in May, 2007. I...

Tax clarification [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I am a green card holder with us income as only gift of shares from my son.I have foreign country income from India as dividends,interest and small business income.All this I am getting in india for several years before I became a residenrt and my foreign income has no connection with any...

F1(OPT) Tax Exemptions ? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new to this forum and this is my situation: I come from Hong Kong with an UK citizenship in summer 2002. After 4 years of study as a F-1 student, I'm now employed as an OPT full-time financial analyst in Los Angeles (started 01/2007). My employer has filed the H1-B application for me so...

OPT-H1b-A small clarification [ 1 Answers ]

The basic details of my case are: - Been in the US since 2004 - On F-1 until May 2006 - OPT until 31 Oct 2006 - H1b from 1 Nov 2006 until 31st Dec 2006 Am I right is assuming that: - Since I do not meet the SPT, I am a non resident alien, and should file 1040NR

Tax exemptions on F1 OPT? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a British citizen with an F1 visa. I am currently employed as a full time permanent employee under the OPT allowance, while my employer applies for an H1B on my behalf. What taxes am I exempt from while still on the F1? Many thanks, Debora

View more questions Search