Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fkarim Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2008, 02:16 PM
    Do I qualify to be resident alien.
    Hi,

I have a L1 visa, whereas my wife and my son are on L2.

I have been in USA since April 2007 along with my family, me my wife and my son has been for more than 183 days in USA in year 2007, but we were not here for any time in 2005 or 2006. Do I qualify as a resident alien or am I a non-resident alien.

Thanks
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Mar 15, 2008, 07:23 PM
    You have become a resident alien but in your first year you are dual status (part year as a non-resident).

You would be in a position to elect to be a resident alien for the full year but you would need to include the foreign income you earned Jan-April on your US tax return and then claim a foreign tax credit for foreign taxes paid.

So effectively you have two options. Either way, your first year is going to be more complicated than usual.
    fkarim Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2008, 09:34 PM
    If I choose to be a resident alien then from Jan 2007 to April 2007 I earned somewhere around 4400 dollars, which was my salary income in my home country, do I have to include that in my return if yes then on which form I will show that?

Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Income tax returns Resident Alien or Non Resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came to USA for the first time on July 5, 2007 and working here in NJ. I am currently on H1B (Sept 2006 - Sept 2009). I am married and my wife came here in Sepetember 2007 on H4. My question is whether I need to file income tax returns as Resident alien or Non-resident alien for 2007? In...

Status changed from resident alien to non-resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

I was under F1 from Aug 2002-May2007, OPT from June 2007 to Sep 2007 and now on H1-B from Oct 2007. I am married and my wife's status changed from F2 to H4. My questions are, 1. Am I considered as a dual-status(resident alien from Jan to Sep and non-resident alien from Oct to Dec)? 2. Which...

H4--resident alien or non-resident alien for purpose of tax? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, my wife came to the U.S. in July of 2005, she changed her status to H4 in September of 2005, she has never left the U.S. ever since. Is she a resident alien for 2007 tax filing? I am holding H1B and a resident alien. Thanks. Jz

1040NR -> 1040: Non-resident Alien to Resident Alien? [ 1 Answers ]

I've heard a rumor that after 5 years of being an international student filling out 1040NRs, you are supposed to start filling out a 1040 instead of a 1040NR. I've been in the States since 2001 (F-1 undergrad, then 1 year of F-1 OPT, and now with a new F-1 for grad school), 6 years so far and...

View more questions Search