Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tgslickers Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Mar 15, 2008, 11:14 AM
    My dogs intestines turn while playing
    My standard Poodle just recently passed away, He was outside playing and came in from outside and was mouning in pain, put into car to take him to the Vet and he died before we got there. They told us with large chested dogs his intestines turned (cut off his air supply) while he was running and playing. They say don't feed your dogs big meals before going out to play, this is one cause of this happening. Has anyone ever experienced this? It is heartbreaking. I will never really know. His tummy did swell up quite a bit.
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2008, 11:30 AM
    It is a rare occurrence with some dogs, unfortunately. I have never had it happen, but a friend of mine had a standard poodle as well, her name was pink, and she turned sharply in the yard, and well, needless to say within the hour she was gone, and they never knew what happened until they took the body of the dog to the veterinarian to figure out what happened, as they were worried perhaps something happened to her that could harm their other dog.

Mar 15, 2008, 11:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by charlotte234s
    It is a rare occurrence with some dogs, unfortunately. I have never had it happen, but a friend of mine had a standard poodle as well, her name was pink, and she turned sharply in the yard, and well, needless to say within the hour she was gone, and they never knew what happened until they took the body of the dog to the veterinarian to figure out what happened, as they were worried perhaps something happened to her that could harm their other dog.
    What did the Vet tell her it was? Thank you your response helped me.
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2008, 12:21 PM
    The vet just told her that it was intussusception, a tangling of the intestines. =(

Mar 15, 2008, 12:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by charlotte234s
    The vet just told her that it was intussusception, a tangling of the intestines. =(
    That is what happened to ours but they said his intestines turned. I didn't know what it was called. So hers passed away that quick to? It was a matter of a couple minutes.
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2008, 01:28 PM
    Yes, it was apparently very quick, they though she was having a seizure at first, and called the vet but it was just too late.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2008, 02:57 PM
    It sounds like what commonly goes by the name of bloat. The dog's stomach fills with gas, and can twist around, cutting off the blood supply and blocking the esophagus, making vomiting impossible. The lack of blood causes the stomach tissue to die. Unfortunately, bloat can be fatal without immediate medical attention.

Mar 15, 2008, 03:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by froggy7
    It sounds like what commonly goes by the name of bloat. The dog's stomach fills with gas, and can twist around, cutting off the blood supply and blocking the esophagus, making vomiting impossible. The lack of blood causes the stomach tissue to die. Unfortunately, bloat can be fatal without immediate medical attention.

Thank you so much. I think this can give me some closure He did try to throw up but couldn't. He passed within 10 minutes on way to Vet. I love the saying after, it is so true in Animals. They love there owners so very much, without expecting anything in return,
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2008, 10:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by froggy7

Right, it's gastric torsion and bloat. It's deep chested dogs, usually, not big chested dogs. At one time the dogs were almost all Great Danes and then people started breeding other breeds for size.

I had a German Shepherd that bloated twice and got to the Emergency Clinic in time. The third time he actually twisted but we still got him there in time to save him although it was touch and go for about 36 hours. I was young and stupid and didn't know how fatal it is. The Vet stitched his stomach to his sides and tacked it to his rib cage and I never knew until years later that that doesn't necessarily save the dog, it just gives the owner more time to get to help. (He lived to be 12-1/2, by the way, and it never happened again. I just got lucky.)

I've read various studies: can happen if dog eats too large a meal, too much water, food or water dish too high and they ingest air, food or water dish too low and they ingest air, spicy food, food that causes gas. I don't know that anyone knows 100%. Some say the tendency is hereditary and now it's beginning to run in certain lines.

My sympathy on your loss - I know it's no comfort to you right now but you did nothing wrong, there was nothing you COULD do.

Apr 3, 2008, 11:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    Right, it's gastric torsion and bloat. It's deep chested dogs, usually, not big chested dogs. At one time the dogs were almost all Great Danes and then people started breeding other breeds for size.

I had a German Shepherd that bloated twice and got to the Emergency Clinic in time. The third time he actually twisted but we still got him there in time to save him although it was touch and go for about 36 hours. I was young and stupid and didn't know how fatal it is. The Vet stitched his stomach to his sides and tacked it to his rib cage and I never knew until years later that that doesn't necessarily save the dog, it just gives the owner more time to get to help. (He lived to be 12-1/2, by the way, and it never happened again. I just got lucky.)

I've read various studies: can happen if dog eats too large a meal, too much water, food or water dish too high and they ingest air, food or water dish too low and they ingest air, spicy food, food that causes gas. I don't know that anyone knows 100%. Some say the tendency is hereditary and now it's beginning to run in certain lines.

My sympathy on your loss - I know it's no comfort to you right now but you did nothing wrong, there was nothing you COULD do.

Thank you it was hard. When I noticed he was hurting coming in from outside I immediately put him in the car to take to the Vet and he passed away before I got there. Thank you for your response, it is still very hard

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Lennox heat turn off and turn back on to work [ 2 Answers ]

I have a lennox heater I have to turn it off and turn it back on to get it to heat. What is wrong and how do I fix it.

Hot Dogs For Dogs [ 7 Answers ]

My 20 Month Old -13 Lb Female Shih Tzu Has Always Been A Picky Eater. Recently We Gave Her A Beef Hot Dog... she Won't Eat Anything Else. I Give Her 2 Hot Dogs At Noon & 2 At 6pm... she Lovvvvvvvvves Them & Is Happy As Can Be. Am I Feeding Her Too Much & Is She Getting Proper Nutrition? Thank You

Are hot dogs safe for dogs [ 7 Answers ]

Are hot dogs safe for me to feed to my dog,or are there any health issues I should be concerned with?

Dog with noise in intestines [ 7 Answers ]

This is an update to the question that I posted earlier. You can hear my dog's insides from 15 feet away. This happens 2 to 3 days a week. It has happened for the last 2 months. It sounds like a kitten in there. I did not say in my earlier message that he has already been to his Dr. He was put on...

For Men, Being really inexperienced. Is that a turn-on or turn-off? [ 9 Answers ]

I met a guy on the internet about four months ago, we've been exchanging messages and decided to meet next month. I've already told him I'm a virgin. Today I wrote that I am really really inexperienced and haven't even french kissed a guy. That I've just rejected everyone who has wanted to go...

View more questions Search