Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Frustrated Owner Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2008, 10:57 AM
    Pressure Treated Wood
    We recently installed pressure treated wood on our balcony. The balcony is in ful sunlight from daylight to dusk. We have heard that you must treat the wood as soon as you install it and then wait to stain/paint it. Is there a particular treatment and when should it be applied?
    retiredmanvan Posts: 35, Reputation: 4

Mar 15, 2008, 07:03 PM
    Hello,

The best treatment to apply to pressure treated lumber is a wolmanized lumber treatment that can be applied with a brush, roller, or it can be sprayed. You can find this product at all of the better lumber dealers in your area. Especially the lumber dealers that sell a number 1
    Grade of lumber.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 17, 2008, 07:28 AM
    Actually most PT is too wet when you first install it so its recommended that you wait until the wood dries to less than 13 percent or a full season. I have had great experiences with a Thompsons WaterSeal Waterproffer Plus which can be clear or tinted. Thompson's® WaterSeal® Waterproofer Plus Tinted Wood Protector - ThompsonsWaterSeal.com
    dj041015 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2008, 10:25 AM
    Can Pre treated wood (plywood) be used for underlayment for 3/4 inch walnut plank flooring. And if so how long after it is installed should I wait befors installing wood planks

Mar 25, 2008, 10:29 AM
    A lot depends on what the floor is under the sub floor and how you plan to attach your underlayment. What material is the current floor? PS you really should just start your own post rather than attaching to an old post. To start a new post just click on "ASK" at the top of the home page.
    the1unv Posts: 285, Reputation: 31

Mar 25, 2008, 02:25 PM
    Always wait at least one season before you seal, stain or paint. I also have had good luck with Tompsons Water seal.
    Mike

Mar 25, 2008, 05:38 PM
    Hey Mike, we should make sure the folks out there know about the different Thompson stuff out there. The original Thompson water seal in the red can wasn't too great. The Thompson's® WaterSeal® Waterproofer Plus Tinted Wood Protector - ThompsonsWaterSeal.com is far, far superior to the original.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pressure treated wood [ 3 Answers ]

Is it necessary to install vapor barriers in a basement, either on walls or floors when using pressure treated lumber?

Can you paint pressure-treated wood? [ 5 Answers ]

Can you paint pressure-treated wood? Thank-you!

Painting treated wood [ 7 Answers ]

How long do I need to wait before painting treated wood?

Pressure treated wood [ 1 Answers ]

I have been reading up on the toxicity of pressure treated wood, and am aware of it's dangers, I recently had a deck built with the "new" PT wood and am concerned. 1. How toxic is the new material to touch? 2. Should this be replaced with redwood, and in fact only used for non-human contact...

Painting Pressure Treated wood [ 3 Answers ]

Can pressure treated lumber be primed and painted as normal wood would?

View more questions Search