Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LunasLove Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2008, 07:03 AM
    Shower and Toilet Simultaneous Backup
    I have two showers in my home, one has been clogged for months, liquid drano does not help the problem so I stopped using it and have been using the other one. Turns out that today I took a shower and it too backed up about 3 inches. Upon coming out I flushed the toilet and immediately saw water come up from where the bolts are. Additionally, I rushed to the other bathroom and the same thing was happening there. Water coming up from the bolts. What is the problem? I have read that it could be the wax rings beneath the toilet, however, why is the backing up of my showers causing both toilets to react this way. HELP! :confused:
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 15, 2008, 07:17 AM
    Your drain liunes are clogged and must be snaked out. This must be done from a roof vent of a tiolet could be pulled abd a snake sent down the closet bend. You have a major clog thay's affecting both bath rooms t6he clog will be found downstream from the two baths. The wax seals are OK. They aren't there to prevent leakage from a standing water backup, only to seal offf the discharge draining past them when you flush. Good luck, Tom
    Knucklez Posts: 129, Reputation: 2

Mar 15, 2008, 07:24 AM
    They sell plumbing snakes at home depot type stores. You might even be able to rent one..

If I were doing this job as a DIYer, I would remove a toilet instead of going on the roof. It is not that difficult to put the bowl back down when you are done, just remember that you will need a brand new wax ring as they are not reusable.

Knucklez
    LunasLove Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2008, 07:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LunasLove
    I have two showers in my home, one has been clogged for months, liquid drano does not help the problem so I stopped using it and have been using the other one. Turns out that today I took a shower and it too backed up about 3 inches. Upon coming out I flushed the toilet and immediately saw water come up from where the bolts are. Additionally, I rushed to the other bathroom and the same exact thing was happening there. Water coming up from the bolts. What is the problem? I have read that it could be the wax rings beneath the toilet, however, why is the backing up of my showers causing both toilets to react this way. HELP! :confused:
    Thanks for both your answers. It seems then that the best route to go is to snake it out. However, big problem - I have no idea where I have to stick the snake. If you don't mind can u give me more step by step directions.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 15, 2008, 09:42 AM
    One or two story house? If a one story house the easiest would be to snake from the downstream bathroom lavatory roof vent. Put out enough cable to reach the base and 20 feet more. Two or more stories are more difficult to snake from a vent so we pull the downstream toilet and snake from the open hole. What's your pleasure? Regards, Tom
    Knucklez Posts: 129, Reputation: 2

Mar 15, 2008, 10:53 AM
    Just riding your coat tails here tom,

What he means is that for a 2 story house you need to remove the toilet he specified. Go read up on how to do this properly. There is lots of info on toilet install and removal on the web with pictures.

Once you have the toilet removed, you'll see a (usually) 3" waste drain pipe going into the floor. this is where the sewage goes.

this is where the snake goes.

the "snake" is a coil of wire, but its stiff enough that you can move it around 20' away, but flexible enough that it will go around a couple of corners here and there. the idea is to push the snake through your drain system until it find the blockage and then just brake it up ..

not sure on proper "snake techniques" but that's idea.

Then when you're don you remove the snake and install the toilet.. again, you'll need a new wax ring.

Knucklez

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help!2 shower backup, bubbling, burping toilet [ 3 Answers ]

We live in a 50 year old house (just moved in 6 months ago). The two downstairs bathrooms are located immediately next to each other. Never have had problems with either. We live in So California, where there's been plenty of rain and in the last 24 hours we've had a new storm, which cleared up...

Toilet backup [ 7 Answers ]

Okay, I don't know how common of a problem this is but I need to give it a shot before I call a plumber, because I simply don't have the money to hire one at the time. I've got a 2 story house with one bathroom on each floor. When the upstairs toilet is flushed, stuff is coming up the downstairs...

Nasty backup in toilet [ 10 Answers ]

When we left our second story condo on Friday, toilet was working fine and water in bowl was clean and clear and at normal level. When we returned on Saturday, the bowl was filled with waste matter. What could be the cause of this?

Toilet backup [ 6 Answers ]

I bought a 50 ft. snake and snaked the drain, that worked to get rid of the standing water in the toilet. Now, two weeks later, it's doing it all over again. Snaked it again, water went down (after having two inches of water on my bathroom floor) but it's back again! What the heck do I do? Does it...

View more questions Search