Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tom Fisher Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2008, 06:00 AM
    Furnace return air ducts
    My current system (Goodman, 120,000 BTU) has a split return air duct with air feeding back into the furnace blower chamber from the left and right, passing through a filter on both sides. We are in the process for planning a replacement with a Carrier Infinity System and the contractor wants to remove the split and use only a single feed and one high efficiency filter.
    Does anybody know what the advantages or disadvantages are of having a split return air duct into the furnace? Should I stick to the curent set-up?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 15, 2008, 08:33 AM
    It all depends upon the installation and how many CFM is needed by your system. If it were me I would want to keep the split deal since it supplies air to both sides of the furnace which insures that heat from the heat exchanger is removed in a even manner. It also might keep the system more quiet since the air is drawn in two spots instead of just one.

Probably they want to use just one return air because it will be more work to cut in two instead of one.

Keep your two return airs and if they argue ask them if they have done a manual D for duct size and a manual J for equipment size. If so get a copy of those and post here. NOTE I bet they have not done these to start with but it will make you sound like you know a little bit more than the average homeowner. LOL
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2008, 08:18 PM
    Carrier will let you cut out one side of the furnace only for side return and that's opposite side of the blower motor mount.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No cold air return ducts [ 2 Answers ]

After living in this house for a number of years, and always complaining about the inconsistent heat temperatures (upstairs cold in winter and hot in summer with a/c on), I took off the cold air return duct covers (which, incidentally, are only located on the first floor) to vacuum as I always do...

No cold air return ducts [ 1 Answers ]

After living in this house for a number of years, and always complaining about the inconsistent heat temperatures (upstairs cold in winter and hot in summer with a/c on), I took off the cold air return duct covers (which, incidentally, are only located on the first floor) to vacuum as I always do...

Furnace Return Ducts [ 1 Answers ]

No return ducts on the second floor - leaking air in these rooms

Cables through cold air return ducts? [ 1 Answers ]

In my basement my return air is done by enclosing floor joists. Can I run cables through the 'duct' by drilling two holes and pulling my cable through the duct at 90 degs. Thanks :o

View more questions Search