Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FINISHER Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2008, 04:37 AM
    No thinset below Hardie Backer
    I installed 1800 sf of 1/2" Hardie backer, I first used self leveler in many area's to eliminate uneven surfaces. I then screwed the backer board down every six inches over the self leveler and 3/4" plywood. I was unable to put thinset down because it would have prohibited me from opening entrance doors throughout the house (the tile was thicker 5/16 of an inch). I have been told that the tile or the grout joints will crack. I also installed expansion joints at numerous locations. What is your take on this?

Thank you
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 16, 2008, 06:22 AM
    If by "screwed the backer board down every six inches " you mean around the perimeter and in the field, you should be just fine. Main thing is the stiffness or rigidity of the floor.

I am curious thought, why can't you trim doors slightly?
    FINISHER Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2008, 03:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud
    If by "screwed the backer board down every six inches " you mean around the perimeter and in the field, you should be just fine. Main thing is the stiffness or rigidity of the floor.

I am curious thought, why can't you trim doors slightly?
    The doors are fiberglass and steel.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thinset versus mastic [ 34 Answers ]

I was told to return an all purpose 3 gal tub of mastic that Lowe's guy recommended for inside alcove shower/tub ceiling 3x5 area.. Should I use unmodified thinset mortar?. I am using 6x6 porcelain tile on 3/8 hardibacker screwed to the ceiling and 9" surround at the top of an acrylic wall/ tub...

Laying Backer Board [ 1 Answers ]

I am tiling my bathroom floor and there are some uneven areas. I had planned on laying a bed of thinset over the plywood subfloor and then lay down the backer board. Would it be feasible to put a little extra thinset in the uneven (low) area and then level out the backer board when I set it? ...

Can thinset be sanded off plywood? [ 3 Answers ]

I've removed old tile and hardibacker from my plywood subfloor. There is still some thinset stuck to the plywood. Since we are installing hardwood in this location, it needs to be smooth. Can the thinset be sanded? Any particular type of paper recommended? Thanks!

Hardie Plank Siding Painting questions [ 1 Answers ]

Well, we finally have our house and addition all sided. We used Hardi plank siding that came pre-primed. The installer suggested using a sherwin williams paint that was supposed to be almost a liquid vinyl. I went to the SW site and I couldn't find it. I did receive a flyer the other day...

View more questions Search