Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 31, 2008, 06:19 AM
    Judy is correct, signs saying use at your own risk do not remove liability for negligence. A lot will depend on the judge and/or jury in a case. They will tend to apply some responsibility to the user, but not relieve the provider. For example, all ski slopes have such signs, but is a trail is poorly groomed or its difficult poorly marked then the slope operator can be held responsible for any accident.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 31, 2008, 09:29 AM
    This has been my point since we started, posting a sign does not make you waive your rights, if anything it shows the property owner was aware of the problem to begin with. School are notorious for reasoning its cheaper to pay an occasional settlement than to buy insurance. I.E. you'd think a school would have insurance for broken windows but they don't. Also, let's not forget the batter, he has some exposure here too.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2008, 10:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    This has been my point since we started, posting a sign does not make you waive your rights, if anything it shows the property owner was aware of the problem to begin with. School are notorious for reasoning its cheaper to pay an ocassional settlement than to buy insurance. I.E. you'd think a school would have insurance for broken windows but they don't. Also, let's not forget the batter, he has some exposure here too.

Absolutely - and whether it is advisable to let the World know you were aware there could be a problem is up to the individual.

When I investigate a dog bite the first thing I look for is a "Beware of Dog" sign. Law in NYS has found the sign Indicates the homeowner was aware there could be a problem.

I have big dogs and I handle it with a sign that says, "I can make it to the fence in 10 seconds. Can you?" and has a drawing of a dog on it.

I know it's a matter of phrasing but the law doesn't always make sense.

(Does this mean when you drive on over to renovate my bathroom and hand me a card that says, "If I blow up your house I'm not responsible" I should figure you really ARE responsible - ?)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Opinion on broken arm - no insurance [ 10 Answers ]

Ok, making a long story short. 3 kids with Ex-wife. She moved out of state (1000 miles away) before our divorce was final without my consent but a judge allowed her temporary relocation rights until the divorce was finalized. Each year I try to add our (out of state) kids to my insurance policy and...

Health insurance won't pay for terminal diseases [ 2 Answers ]

Where i work, the insurance is very strict... If i slip, fall and break a leg, insurance won't pay for medical services if I was the one to spread water on the floor so we have to be extra careful but when i read the policies very carefully... i saw a clause that no one in my office seems to have...

Rear ended but the other insurance says they may not have to pay. [ 1 Answers ]

Please help. We were rear ended a week ago. The other driver was cited and found at fault. When we contacted her insurance to begin to get our van fixed they said she might not be insured because the vehicle she hit us in was a new purchase and not on her policy. They said they cannot get a...

Leaving the scene - insurance wants me to pay up [ 7 Answers ]

Hello from Minnesota I hit another car that was stopped on an on ramp at about 20 miles an hour. I left the scene of the accident and drove home. (Yes I know this was not the right thing to do). The police came to my door and saw me but I did not answer the door. A month went by with no notice,...

Neighbor forcing us to pay broken window [ 2 Answers ]

My husband a few months back got into and argument with this man over an issue that did not pertain to my husband after talking things over my husband came back home and our two children and us were in our front yard washing our cars, when the man came back with another man and started shooting at...

View more questions Search