Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    culinaryqueen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2008, 10:52 AM
    Pet budgies
    Hi.I'm new here.Anyway,my bird Sprite is constantly putting her right foot up in her feathers.She has been doing this for a week and a half now.I know that this isn't normal,I looked at her foot and she bite me.Is this some kind of injury that I am missing?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 14, 2008, 11:38 AM
    >Moved from Zoology<
    mrssittingduck Posts: 151, Reputation: 24

Mar 15, 2008, 05:59 PM
    This is what is called perching, when the bird is comfortable, tired and wants to sleep the bird will use 1 leg , all birds perch like this and is nothing to worry about what so ever,

If the foot was injured in most leg/foot injury cases the bird will still try and use it and try and stand on it and you would then see the damage, in most leg injuries the leg either hangs low or wonky and a swelling can usually be seen...

How long have you had your bird for, if you haven't had him for long or only a matter of weeks then perhaps he just hasn't been comfortable enough to perch properly in front of you, takes a while for them to get used to their surroundings,

Here is a link to a Google search page with lots of pictures of birds on 1 leg, this will help to give you an example of what I mean, even before the bird tucks his head under the wing it will still stand their on 1 leg before it goes to sleep properly, it is just a sign of a well adjusted bird that is comfortable in the surroundings :)
    bird sleeping? - Google Image Search
    Good luck with him
    Katie

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Loss of a Pet causing distress on another pet [ 1 Answers ]

Our 4 year old cocker spaniel has experienced the loss of her best friend, our 14 year old Dalmatian. She is exhibiting behaviors that we are not sure how to deal with. She refuses to go onto a tile floor such as the ones in the bathroom or kitchens, and is peeing and pooping in the house quite...

Pet Deposit [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have a tenant that is moving out of my rental home and I charged her a pet deposit of $500.00 The lease states, "Tenant shall pay to Landlord a pet deposit of $500.00, of which shall be non-refundable and shall be used upon the termination or expiration of this Agreement for the...

Is there any good ways or means by which I can encourage my budgies to mate? [ 15 Answers ]

Hello,I'm new here and I want to ask a question about budgerigar birds (budgies) , I have kept birds since I was a child I have kept budgies for a long time.. the first 2 pairs I got mated very fast and laid eggs and chicks hatched and were very very well reaching adulthood... about 2 years ago I...

BUDGIES... Albino or Lutino... [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: Hello I breed budgies. And last year my budgies had an albino chick. But then I was doing some research because even though the baby was albino with RED EYES. It has yellow feathers... So then I was told that this was a lutino budgies. So my question is is my budgie an albino or lutino.....

Budgies and steroids? [ 1 Answers ]

My budgie 4 yrs of age has chronic liver disease with all the associated problems of that (gut probs etc) and scratching round vent lots. The vet now says that the last resort for him to make him comfortable would be steroid injections... has anyone heard of this and if they have what results have...

View more questions Search