Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevecarruth Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2006, 06:17 PM
    Removing a tailpiece from lead solder
    How to remove the tailpiece on the p trap that is soldered in place with lead at the face of the wall
    stew_1962 Posts: 255, Reputation: 10

Feb 1, 2006, 08:50 PM
    Unleaded gas? :)

Small drill, carefully make some holes around the periphery. Then using and awl or similar tool, pick it out. Remove the oakum underneath. Slide tailpiece out.

Hmmmm... put a new one back in?

Look at my question earlier on this forum about joining 4" PVC to cast iron hub... guessing you have a cast iron hub that you wish to put new tailpiece into. Same principle, just substitute 1 1/2" pipe instead. Speedball set me straight on how that's done. There's several different methods explained in that post.

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lead paint [ 2 Answers ]

Does any one know what year they stopped using lead paints? I have some old matchbox cars I would like to give to my kids but don't want to give the ones that might contain lead paint.

Leak in Shower Tailpiece [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Speedball, I registered with Ask Me, just to ask you. My shower drain has been leaking Down into my crawlspace below my house, possibly for years. I crawled in the Mud down there to see if the nut needed tightening (nope), and it seems that the Water comes out of one side only of the...

Removing cast iron / lead joints [ 4 Answers ]

Hi; I have a vertical 2 inch cast iron vent pipe that I need to remove to install a medicine cabinet. I have cut it in one spot with a sawzall, but there is also a joint in it where I would like to separate it. The joint appears to be poured with lead. If I heat it with a propane torch to get it...

New faucet drain tailpiece does not align with existing pipes [ 1 Answers ]

I simply installed a new faucet & drain pipe for my existing bathroom sink, but now the drain tailpiece does not align with the existing pipes. This doesn't make sense to me, since the drain tailpiece is a straight pipe, but whatever. Do I have to replace the trap, etc. now to make everything...

Lead solder [ 2 Answers ]

Is there any alternatives to resolder a lead solder joint besides lead?

View more questions Search