Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laurencarter17 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2008, 05:33 AM
    17 year old sharing a room with a 7 year old
    I am a 17 year old female, who's mother and father recently divorced. However, my father has met another woman and has moved her in to his 3 bedroom house. He wants me to share a room with his girlfriends little girl who is 7. I am not happy about this, however, is this legal?

Please write back to me asap as I am concerned

Thanks
    Scottish2008 Posts: 501, Reputation: 32

Mar 14, 2008, 06:55 AM
    If it was your younger sister or brother and you had to share a room for some reason. Would you be upset about it? There is no legal battle here. Is it only for a weekend or for good? Not trying to upset you. It is just something you should think about.
    bEaUtIfUlbRuNeTtE Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2008, 07:06 AM
    I know this may not seem fair to you, but until 18 (then you can move out) you have to abide by your father's rules.

As far as I know this isn't illegal in any way. It is your father's household and what ever he says needs to be done will be.

Have you tried speaking to him about your feelings with this issue? He might reconsile.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 14, 2008, 07:31 AM
    I understand why you might be upset, you feel like he's forcing this woman and her daughter on you, but look at it from his point of view. He's met someone and wants to be with her, if there isn't enough room for all of you then he doesn't have a choice but to make the two of you bunk together.

Also, look at it from the 7 year old girls point of view. She's moving out of her home and into yours. She's young and probably a bit scared, and she's probably just as upset about having to share a room with you.

Just remember that it's not the little girls fault, don't take it out on her. You have an opportunity to be the mature person here and make her feel welcome and maybe help alleviate some of her concerns. Try and remember what it felt like to be 7, put yourself in her shoes.

Good luck.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 14, 2008, 07:32 AM
    Sorry Lauren, life is hard sometimes. When there are people in this world living 3, 4, 5 to a room, I can't get too upset about a 17 yr old who can't share with her 7 yr old stepsister. Especially if this is not your full time residence.

You say the house has 3 bedrooms, who is in the third bedroom?

And no, there are no laws about this.
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Mar 14, 2008, 07:36 AM
    Yea it stinks for you but it is legal... I shared a room with my step brother before and he's ages older than me and I'm a girl.
    Talk to your dad about it, tell him it makes you feel uncomfortable.
    hauser5 Posts: 699, Reputation: 92

Mar 14, 2008, 07:54 AM
    You are so lucky! When my parents divorced, my dad re-married and gained yet another boy in the family. We had one room with two sets of bunk beds! 4 or us in one room! This was until the new house was built, but we still lived 2 to a room! Looking back now, I wouldn't have changed it for the world. Being that you are almost 18 now, if it were me, I would start considering the possibility of moving out on my own or with friends, just to see if that situation is better. You would probably miss home, and realize how fortunate you were to have to put up with the 7 year old.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Mar 14, 2008, 06:01 PM
    Well, I only think child services would see a problem if there was opposite sex step siblings sharing a room.
    3x N Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2008, 07:12 AM
    Yes it is illegal
    Im sorry to say that can't you live with your mom
    Or convert a room into 2 bedrooms

X
    Pets Expert

Mar 18, 2008, 07:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 3x N
    Yes it is illegal

x
    Where did you find information saying that this is illegal? I'd like to see the documentation of your claims.

Mar 18, 2008, 07:16 AM
    Yes it is illegal

x
    What is illegal, a 17 yr old and 7 yr old girl sharing a room? Where and under what statute is that illegal? And who said they can't convert the bedroom?
    3x N Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2008, 07:19 AM
    I feel so sorry for you I share a bedroom with an 18 yr old sister I'm 13
    It that wrong x

Mar 18, 2008, 07:24 AM
    I feel so sorry for you i share a bedroom with an 18 yr old sister im 13
    it that wrong x
    Its one thing to feel for someone in a similar situation. Its another to give them misinformation in answer to their question.
    Pets Expert

Mar 18, 2008, 07:47 AM
    3xN - It's okay to express your opinion, but stating that something is illegal, when it isn't will get you a reddie. Fact is fact, you cannot change fact regardless of how you feel.

People come here for advice, if you have an opinion that you would like to share than by all means, share it. But do not give false information and claim that it is fact.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Full year resident alien part year treaty [ 1 Answers ]

My country has a tax treaty with US. I came on J1 visa in September 2005 and got the benefit of the tax treaty till August 2007. And since September 2007 my taxes are being with held. I am considered as full year resident alien since Januarary 2007. Which tax form I need to fill up and where to...

Calendar Year or Fiscal Year for H1b Visa Holders? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I would be going to the US on an H1B, accompanied with my wife and two kids (all on H4). Tax experts could you please answer the following doubts of mine: 1. For individuals on H1B, the only selection of tax year is a calendar tax year, right? 2. If I reach US somewhere on Oct 1 2007, I...

My 21 year old brother won't come out of his room [ 4 Answers ]

My brother has been in his room for 5 years. He quit school when he was 16. He does not leave the house. In the last 5 years he has been out of the house no more than 5 times. He doesn't leave the house for family events, but will socialize with us if the event is at my mothers house, where he...

6-year Indian Student, 1040EZ but claiming social security taxes from 5th year. [ 3 Answers ]

I've been in the States since 2001 (F-1 undergrad, then 1 year of F-1 OPT, and now with a new F-1 for grad school), 6 years so far and all at the same university in NYC. This will be my first year filing the 1040EZ, and I have a few Q's... Four questions: * Is the 1040EZ form the...

View more questions Search