Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cozyk Posts: 802, Reputation: 125

Mar 13, 2008, 08:54 PM
    What's with the pope?
    So, what is the deal with catholics and the pope? Why do they put such store in someone that is just a mere mortal like the rest of us?:confused:
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2008, 08:56 PM
    Strange thing is I always heard things about the other popes but since this new pope has been *in office* since 2005 I haven't heard a thing about him at all.
    ??
    Chrissyg89 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2008, 10:11 PM
    The pope has been around for a really long time, and he's more like the closest to god you can get type guy... Personally I am not even catholic, but I know a lot of people who are. The pope is a man who is supposed to live completley free of sin, which makes him more susceptible to god and his inerworkings. So that's as much as I know about the guy. Hes just the big Catholic Kahuna

Mar 13, 2008, 11:01 PM
    When I was visiting Denver a few years ago, the pope came to town. It was like some huge rock star had arrived. The streets were filled with teenagers walking to the outdoor venue. Thousands of people came to Denver to see him. The next day, the place was a disaster!! Trash thrown all around. Reminded me of New Years Eve in Time Square. If these people were so anxious to party with the pope, looks like he might mention to the crowd to be sure to clean up after themselves or at least leave the city in as good a shape as they found it. It didn't seem very "christian like" to me.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 13, 2008, 11:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissyg89
    The pope is a man who is supposed to live completley free of sin
    That is not what Catholics believe. They believe the Pope is a mortal, sinful man (I. e. capable of sin) just like any other.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 13, 2008, 11:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cozyk
    So, what is the deal with catholics and the pope? Why do they put such store in someone that is just a mere mortal like the rest of us?:confused:
    Catholics believe that Jesus made his disciple Peter the first pope, the first head of the Church. The Catholic Church grew out of the early Christian church mentioned in the Book of Acts. For centuries, the Catholic Church was the only organized Christian church.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2008, 04:00 AM
    Here is some good reading/explanations on the subject:

Catholic Answers: Library: Church & Papacy

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: The Pope
    Moparbyfar Posts: 262, Reputation: 49

Mar 16, 2008, 04:03 PM
    Jesus alone shows us the way and by his humbleness he even washed the feet of his own disciples in John 13:5. Could you imagine the Pope doing something like this?

Throughout the time Jesus was on earth men, women and children were able to converse with him and approach him freely yet the Pope seems harder to approach than G W Bush!
    Wangdoodle Posts: 217, Reputation: 50

Mar 16, 2008, 04:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Moparbyfar
    Jesus alone shows us the way and by his humbleness he even washed the feet of his own disciples in John 13:5. Could you imagine the Pope doing something like this?
    Actually, it is a tradition that at the mass on the Thursday before Easter, the celebrating priest will wash the feet of twelve men.

Mar 16, 2008, 04:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangdoodle
    Actually, it is a tradition that at the mass on the Thursday before Easter, the celebrating priest will wash the feet of twelve men.
    I just realised I forgot to add this link.

VATICAN Washing of the feet embodies the love of Jesus that purifies man - Asia News

Mar 16, 2008, 04:28 PM
    Not the Pope?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2008, 04:30 PM
    Not the Pope?
    :confused: Well you have to realize the Pope ain't the Easter bunny so he can't be EVERYWHERE!

Mar 16, 2008, 04:34 PM
    Not the Pope?
    Yes, even the Pope.

Mar 16, 2008, 04:44 PM
    Thanks for that link :) was very interesting. Perhaps Jesus was teaching his disciples a lesson and "setting the pattern" rather than establishing a ceremony. In any case, it's nice to see the Pope mingling in the crowds.
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2008, 02:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cozyk
    Jesus established His Church and within that Church established an office which would contain the man who would lead His Church after Jesus went to the Father:

John 21 17 He said to him the third time: Simon, son of John, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved, because he had said to him the third time: Lovest thou me? And he said to him: Lord, thou knowest all things: thou knowest that I love thee. He said to him: Feed my sheep.

We believe this office has continued through the centuries and that Jesus Himself preserves His Vicar from error:

Matthew 16 18 And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. 19 And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose upon earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven.

Sincerely,

De Maria

Mar 18, 2008, 06:32 PM
    [QUOTE=De Maria]Jesus established His Church and within that Church established an office which would contain the man who would lead His Church after Jesus went to the Father:

John 21 17 He said to him the third time: Simon, son of John, lovest thou me? Peter was grieved, because he had said to him the third time: Lovest thou me? And he said to him: Lord, thou knowest all things: thou knowest that I love thee. He said to him: Feed my sheep.

We believe this office has continued through the centuries and that Jesus Himself preserves His Vicar from error:

Matthew 16 18 And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. 19 And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose upon earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven.

Call me dense but I don't get the connection between these verses, your statements, and my question. But that is not unusual. "Bible speak" has always left me saying, WHAT??
    "What does that mean???" I guess that is why I don't often read the bible. It is too confusing so I get nothing out of it.
    De Maria Posts: 1,359, Reputation: 52
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2008, 07:08 PM
    [QUOTE=cozyk]
    Quote Originally Posted by De Maria
    Jesus established His Church and within that Church established an office which would contain the man who would lead His Church after Jesus went to the Father:

Call me dense
    No, I won't call you dense. It took me years to understand. But God rewards those who seek Him in faith. And one day, I understood.

but I don't get the connection between these verses, your statements, and my question. But that is not unusual. "Bible speak" has always left me saying, WHAT??
    "What does that mean???" I guess that is why I don't often read the bible. It is too confusing so I get nothing out of it.

Its kind of a vicious circle. Its true about almost everything. If you don't care enough to study it, you will probably not find the answer to difficult math problems, legal problems and many other things.

I'll assume you really want an explanation and try to explain.

but I don't get the connection between these verses, your statements, and my question.
    You asked:

So, what is the deal with catholics and the pope? Why do they put such store in someone that is just a mere mortal like the rest of us?

Connection between my statements and your questions:

Catholics believe that Jesus is God. We also believe that Jesus, made Peter the First Pope when He told Peter to "Feed My Sheep".

Connection between these verses and your questions:

Verse Matt 16:18 is Jesus renaming Simon. He gives Simon the name of "Peter" which means "Rock". Only one other person is called Rock in Scripture. God Himself. Therefore Jesus gives Simon a name that signifies God. This ties the New Testament back to when God told Moses:

Exodus 7 1 And the Lord said to Moses: Behold I have appointed thee the God of Pharao: and Aaron thy brother shall be thy prophet.

In other words, Moses stood in the place of God. In the same way, Peter would stand in the place of God.

And just as Moses passed this office on to Joshua, Peter passed this office on to St. Linus.

Verse Matt 16:19 is Jesus telling Simon that his authority will extend to heaven itself.

Verse John 21:17 is Jesus telling Simon that it is now time to assume his office. Feed my Sheep.

And that is the big deal. In a nutshell, we believe that God established a leader within the Church to guide us until the consummation of the world. We believe that is recorded in the Traditions of the Church and in the Scriptures.

I hope that helps.

Sincerely,

De Maria
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 18, 2008, 07:31 PM
    In reference to the feet washing, the stole worn by priest, hold several symbolic meanings, one of these meanings is to represent the towel used to wash the feet of others. This is to remind the prest daily of his position as a servant to the people.

Mar 19, 2008, 02:51 AM
    Thank you Maria for explaining further. I believe I get it now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

An italian movie about a runaway pope [ 5 Answers ]

I am looking for an older italian movie about a new pope who runs away from the garden of the Vatican. He goes to a small village for a few weeks, makes some friends, then decides he will go back and be the pope. Anyone know the name of this movie? Thanks

Title of movie about a Pope who gets locked out of the Vatican and visits a village a [ 1 Answers ]

Title of movie about a Pope who gets locked out of the Vatican and visits a village and is not recognized.

7 dwarfs and he pope [ 1 Answers ]

The 7 dwarfs are in the vatican visiting the pope. The pope turns rto them and says, so do u have any questions for me? They huddle together shyly going go on! Go on dopey! Ask him! Ask him! So dopey asks, sir, do u have churches in antartica? He says yes my son... go on sk him ask him, sir do they...

The youngest pope was how many years old? [ 2 Answers ]

Who is he? Which country did he hail from? What's his name?

Movie about new Pope, rebuilding a water windmill and Faith [ 3 Answers ]

I have tried for the past several years to find the title to this cute movie about a newly elected Pope escaping the Vatican and wandering into a desperate Italian village. Through his efforts he rebuilds a water transport system for the village and renews an old priest's faith. Can anyone help me...

View more questions Search