Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bubby328 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2008, 08:32 AM
    DNA for Genealogy purposes
    I am new to this site and I want to ask a question on DNA but each time I click on "ask" it seems that there is no way for me to ask anything, it justs keeps reverting back to another screen.

I am interested in DNA for genealogical reasons.

Thanks,
    Bubby328

- moved from Forum Help -
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2008, 08:37 AM
    Getting your DNA results can help greatly.

I've posted my results on a couple websites and have received new info based on it.

What question(s) do you have about DNA & Genealogy?

Mar 13, 2008, 12:03 PM
    Hi Rick,

Thank you so much for getting back to me on this question.
    I wanted to know if it more desirable to get the DNA done on the male or female?
    By this I mean would it give me more information if my brother had his DNA down rather than my own? How much information would I get from doing DNA (from either of us)?

Thanks so much,
    Lois
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2008, 04:32 AM
    There are uses for both. Admittedly the number of tests that can be done, and what can be done with them is numerous and overwhelming.

I did the 12 marker male line test.

Here's the one I went through:
    Family Tree DNA - we do genetic tests for your genealogy questions!

Mar 14, 2008, 04:50 AM
    Hi Rick,
    Thanks so much for your advise, it will be put to great use and I thank you again.
    Lois
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2008, 04:54 AM
    You're welcome :)

Once you get the results you can have it posted on surname dna sites like I've done here:
    Test Results

I also have it posted on my personal site:
    Geneocity.com

As time goes by and more people publish their results, you can Google them, just like other words and phrases, to find cousins :)
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 2, 2008, 04:01 AM
    For your info. It is best to have the maternal side done. It is called mtDNA, (mitochondrialDNA) and is more exact.

The reason being is sperm are diluted before reaching their final destination, therefore, there is a doubt to the inth degree.

My two cents, but it is an interest of mine, not genealogy per se, but the basic genetic side of the science.
    WVHiflyer Posts: 384, Reputation: 34

Jun 28, 2008, 07:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle
    ...the maternal side done. it is called mtDNA, (mitochondrialDNA) and is more exact.

The reason being is sperm are diluted before reaching their final destination, therefore, there is a doubt to the inth degree...
    There's a big project now to use DNA from indigenous people so they can track human migration from it's beginning (so far, all roads lead to Africa).. They started with mDNA - only passed from mother to children, but now they are also using genes from Y line because it has more markers they can check (I think that was the explanation... just read article in July 2008 Scientific American on this).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax purposes [ 3 Answers ]

If a parcel of land that was originally purchased for $85,00 is offered for sale at $150,000, is assessed for tax purposes at $95,000, is recognized by its purchasers as easily being worth $140,000, and is purchased for $137,000, the land should be recorded in the purchaser's books at:

Alexander Graham Bell's genealogy [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know where name GRAHAM came from, in Alexander Graham Bell's name? Someone said that it came from his grandfather, but I cannot locate this information.

Genealogy [ 3 Answers ]

Does anybody know what genealogy all about? I'd like to know asap! Thanks! Alex Davis

Free Genealogy & Family Tree Resources, Help, Tips & Advice [ 5 Answers ]

Below are some helps on finding and documenting your family history. Review them for some good ways to find information yourself. Of course, you're also welcome and encouraged to post questions to this board for more information: Just click the "Ask about Genealogy" button at the top of the...

How to start tracking genealogy? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I know my family but past my grandparents telling us names of ancestors, I don't know much about where we come from. Can anyone suggest how we should start? Thanks Cherry;)

View more questions Search