Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nmasila Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2008, 08:32 AM
    401K Cash Out
    Hello I am 25 years old and I left my job in May 2007. I have about $7000 in my 401k, I have just moved to another state and have been unable to obtain employment. I need this money desperatly, however I was told by my plan administrator that I can not cash out until August of 2008. Is this legal? Is there any way to get the money, I have two kids and can not get any financial assistance because I have 401k money sitting there. PLEASE HELP ME.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 13, 2008, 08:45 AM
    I've never heard of anything like this - it seems to be a provision in your plan. Ask the plan administrator to cite the section in your plan's documents that don't allow you to access your money for a year. I'm wondering if perhaps the investment is in some instrument that has restrictions on frequency of trading?

Also ask if there is any restriction on rolling the money to an IRA. Perhaps you could roll the $7K to an IRA, and then take a distribution from there. An advantage of this would be if you are paying your own medical insurance, or have medical expenses > 7.5% of your income, at least some of the distribution would not be subject to the 10% penalty if it's distributed from an IRA.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K Cash out [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know what the penalties are, if you cash out your 401K

401k cash out [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: my husband recently left his job ,he has a 401k I called and asked about it,the woman told me we couldn't get the money until April 2006.she says the numbers come in in dec then it will still take months before we get it ,should it take that long to get it the amount he had when he left...

401K cash out [ 2 Answers ]

Could you tell me when and how much taxes I would pay if I cashed out my 401K which is $28000.00. Earnings for the year is $52000.00. Would that $28k be added to my income?

HELP 401k cash out [ 6 Answers ]

12/5/05 I left my employer and had a small 401k. I requested to cash out as it was small amount. 1/06 checked Manual life and account was still listed as active and open. I called Manul life to discuss closing account. I was told need special paper work from previous employer. So called again and...

401k Cash Out [ 5 Answers ]

The company is closing, I'm over 55 and will be able to avoid the 10% penalty when the 401k plan ends. I am fully vested. Understand the state and federal tax implications. Not unemployed and not sure how long that will last. If I roll over to IRA, I can't get access to the money until at least...

View more questions Search