Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eruckus Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2008, 11:48 PM
    Making things fit with CSS and IE
    So I've this database driven site that displays its results in a table with a series of <div> tags for layering and positioning purposes. I wanted to create a link to more information about a specific result but I'm having trouble getting everything working the way I want.

To be more specific, imagine this...
    Ive got a div tag that displays a border around all of the results content, as well as a background image. Then another div tag on top of that with all of the results content. Then a final div tag on top of that displaying a transparent gif image that is linked to more info about that specific result.

The problem is on the bottom div tag, where the border and background pic are displayed, I used css to define the height as 300px. Then on the top div tag, with the transparent image, I defined the height as 300px and used style="position:relative;top:-300;" to get the transparent image on top of the other div tag.

When this is displayed in Firefox and other standards loving browsers the border is 300px tall, the transparent images is over all my content and everything is great. But when displayed in IE6 the border is 600px tall, but it still puts the transparent image over my content. Does anyone out there have any idea why this is happening and how it can be resolved?

Many thanks in advance! :D :D
    -e.ruckus
    Artem Posts: 61, Reputation: 5

Jan 12, 2009, 11:55 AM

Why would you want to make the div's overlap, if they should simply nest into the container around it.

It's still hard for me to imagine, but I think the problem is in the fact that you used the negative value for top. Not sure if you may do that.

Can you give some information, maybe some visual material?
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jan 20, 2009, 05:53 PM

Hi,
    I have to agree. The negative value is allowed but has mixed results. Did you try it in Opera?
    I just relearned something in the last week I had forgotten about it. Just nesting should do it.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The ex who is unfit and making things uncomfortable [ 3 Answers ]

My Boyfriends ex does drugs and drinks and makes everyone's lives miserable. They have no custody order and she is always expecting us to do all the driving to and from and not only that she expects us to bow down. I have been constantly harassed by phone calls and texts message and rude...

Protein making certain things rather difficult [ 1 Answers ]

I'm eating a fairly high protein diet at the moment, and drinking lots and lots of water. Trouble is, lately I've had some difficulty with the ol' BM's. Every other day at most, and when I do, it ain't easy. Feels like I'm passing cannonballs. Do I need more water or what? I eat a high...

Making 6/3 fit in breaker [ 6 Answers ]

I hired an electrician to run wire for an electric stove. He chose 6/3 with ground. The stove will require 30-amps and 220 volts. I noticed that when he connected the wires to the breaker that it was necessary for him to cut off a couple of the strands to make the wire fit in the clamp. I'm...

CSS e-Book [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I am in need of an Advanced CSS e-Book. Any links would help me a lot. Sincere Regards Shaikh M. Zaid.

Need help with css [ 2 Answers ]

I was talking to a buddy and was told that I need to learn css to help me in website creation. He told me to use dreamweaver and use the help features on it and also to search on the net. I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me any web site or any book that would help me to...

View more questions Search