Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smoeles Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2008, 10:45 PM
    Bandwidth limits
    Hey we are currently paying for 1.5 megbit internet but I have never seen it hit over 800kbps is it something on our end or would it be the service provider
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Mar 13, 2008, 12:15 AM
    I'd say you were pretty lucky to be honest, that seems like a pretty good speed!

Check your contract and I'm pretty sure you'll find a statement with something like "up to 1.5MB speeds". Almost always meaning you won't get that exact speed.

Your speed will usually depend on how far away from the nearest telephone exchange your house is, dropping off the further away you are.

If you're really concerned, you could speak to your service provider, but it may be a lost cause.
    jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

Mar 13, 2008, 11:26 AM
    That 1.5MB is a maximum speed and a lot of it depends on the sites you are visiting and downloading content from. It also depends on the type of service you have, cable or DSL.

Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test
    DSL · Cable · VOIP · Security · Satellite · Fiber · News · Tips · Reviews · Community · Tools - dslreports.com

Both of those have speed tests to help you get an idea of the speed you're getting. Be sure to choose the location closest to you for the test. Again, even this is dependent on a lot of factors.

The best thing to do is call your provider and complain. Don't expect them to jump through hoops because it's a bit slow.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bandwidth [ 2 Answers ]

Yes hello I am deployed in iraq right now and we have internet in our rooms well I just want to know can someone steal any bandwidth from our internet satlite dish .and if they are .I would like to know how to turn them in .thank youi

Bandwidth check. [ 12 Answers ]

Since dropping my bandwidth from 2G to 1G the drop in download speed has dropped more than I think it should! - At 2G I was downloading video at average 130 kb/s - Since I've dropped to 1G the download for normal program files is now about 16 kb/s and I was getting better than this on my old...

Bandwidth [ 3 Answers ]

Hi pals I heard stealing bandwidth is a crime. What is this bandwidth? How can someone steal bandwidth?

View more questions Search