Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smarttart Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2008, 08:04 PM
    Cost for casual flight lessons?
    Hello,
    I have read a few of the other posts and while I would like to learn to fly, I would like lessons on rather small aircraft, like the Cessna Skyhawk? video was showing. I'm not particularly interested in becoming a pilot as a job, so I'm not really geared toward the whole certification/credentials thing, but I would like to safely fly an airplane of my own. Does anyone know how much it might cost for enough lessons to make me a safe pilot of my own plane? Just kind of entertaining the thought at this point, so if there's some big aspect of all this I'm missing, just keep in mind I'm not 100% serious as of yet.

Thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 12, 2008, 08:26 PM
    Prices can vary on locatoin,

Here is an example, it is about 6500 to 7000 to get your private license

Private Pilot Training
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2008, 07:07 AM
    I noticed the link is based on 50 Hours flight, and 5 hours ground school.
    Both could be longer, A good book among many is Gleims(the red book), It goes through
    Aerodynamics, Navigation, Aeromedical and about 8 other areas or chapters and covers all areas needed to pass the test.
    You can also just pay as you want to go fly, don't have to have commitment or get serious, in no time the hours will add up, King videos were also helpful.
    There are also introductory flights that I believe were $25. Good Luck
    Expert

Mar 13, 2008, 08:06 AM
    Yes, I will agree, I actually took a week ground school, class room not one on one, and then took a ground school prep class prior to taking my test.
    smarttart Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2008, 08:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Yes, I will agree, I actually took a week ground school, class room not one on one, and then took a ground school prep class prior to taking my test.
    What test are you referring to, exactly? And for that matter, what kind of red tape and I going to run into in this kind of thing? There's got to be some sort of regulation on who can fly a plane (even if I own it), right?
    Expert

Mar 13, 2008, 09:21 AM
    There is a several 1000 page book of regulations, also if you own a plane what typeof plane, there are execptions for ultra lights, and then different indorceemnts on your license.

But you have to pass a test on basically ground school items, plotting a course, rules or flight, following a map, knowing all the rules of restricted areas. So you will be tested on that knowledge.

Then you will have to do enough hours with a trainer to do solo, you then are required to do so many hours and certain flights solo and you will then test to show you are able to fly the plane and be issued a license
    ** and before any of that you have to pass a flight physcial from an approved doctor.

These links should keep you busy a day or two

FAA - Regulations & Policies

FAA - Pilot Regulations

AOPA Online:

FAA - Medical Certification-Locate an Aviation Medical Examiner (AME)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Casual Sex [ 8 Answers ]

I am almost 50 and am not satisfied sexually in my current relationship. There is none and he has issues. I like my partner--lots of fun and a stitch to be with. But how can one prepare for the idea of Causal Sex. I am not in the best of shape but I need this very badly. Thanks. Sandy

Cost of end. Inv. And cost of goods sold under average cost [ 1 Answers ]

It's me again! I have another question to the same problem. In case someone else responds, I'll post the problem again. June 1 inv20051000 June 12 purch.30061800 June 23 purch. 50073500 June 30 inv. I need to compute the cost of the ending inventory and the cost of goods sold using the...

Bi guy falls for another. He didn't want anything more than casual fun. [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a 22 year old bisexual guy, in the closet and was having casual meets with another bisexual guy. Each time he came over, I was developing really strong feelings for him and I got so attached. He knew that I liked him, and I'm pretty sure he liked me as well. After a month, he stopped coming...

Casual Dinner party [ 6 Answers ]

Hello all My son is dating a nice young lady, they are both 16. Her parents have invited us over for home made pizza, my question is , should I take something over as part of the dinner or not, Thanks

Kenmore Elite He4 Dryer stuck on Casual setting [ 5 Answers ]

My Kenmore Elite He4 Dryer is stuck on the "Casual" setting and won't let me change it! How do I reset it so that I can choose my own setting? I've tried holding down the Pause/Cancel button, but nothing happens. HELP! Thanks!

View more questions Search