Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    houdini16 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2008, 06:47 PM
    #18 Extraction Questions
    Hello, I am a prior Dental Lab tech of 5 years, and need some advice.
    I had a extraction of the roots on 18, a periodontal pocket had allowed decay to cause my crown and core build up, and post to fall out. I went in for root extraction and allow healing for future bone graph and implant.
    Ive had prior extractions but none like this.
    The oral surgeon used a chisel to brake parts off and remove them,he never once through the procedure rinsed my mouth.
    Sutures were not put in. It was quite painfull in my glands under my ear and nerves all the way up to my eyes and nose, during the extraction process.

The real question is Im left a week later with a deep hole that is slowly closing but I have noticed loose fragments of bone or tooth in the hole that I have used my pick tools to remove, there has been a couple, I even irrigated the site to try and clear it out, and in remembering he never rinsed the surgical site I wonder how much is in there and shouldn't this be removed before its healed over? Or will these be absorbed by the body?
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2008, 06:52 PM
    If the socket heals with bone fragments in it they will eventually make their way to the surface and have to be removed. He should have been collecting all of the pieces as he removed them to be sure the WHOLE tooth was removed. It's not uncommon for a surgical site not to be flushed as it lowers the risk for a dry socket. If it IS flushed they would usually use a medicament such as chlorahexadine or tea tree oil. Perhaps you should go back and ask them to take an x-ray to show any bone fragments that may be there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tooth pain after extraction [ 4 Answers ]

I had a tooth pulled about 5 days ago, 3 days after the extraction a tooth on the same jaw(lower) started to hurt, the tooth that was pulled was the very back tooth (bottom) the tooth that is now in pain is a front (lower) tooth. Is this related to the extraction? Or what!

Tooth Extraction [ 5 Answers ]

Hi My middle molar (used for chewing) broke of from the side, and I went to see the dentist who informed me that the tooth was dead and under the gum infected, so I have to take the tooth out inorder to prevent the infection from spreading to the other molar (the last one at the back). But my...

Tooth Extraction in a 3 Yr Old [ 6 Answers ]

Okay, my son's front tooth is kind of loosen (or least when I wiggle it). He does not complain of any pain, but the tooth is getting darker (like a brownish color). We have an Dentist Appt. already made, but my concern is will the Dentist want to extract the tooth?

Extraction [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I went to the dentist the other day and was told I need to have an extraction done. I was given antibiotics and have taken them. I don't have any pain yet but do have swelling gums. I have an appointment in a month (earliest I could get in). Will the infection come back in this time or has it...

Bleeding after an extraction [ 3 Answers ]

Gum bleeding really bad after extraction, gauze not working... is there anything I can try myself to get it to stop.. its pretty sore as well.. well let me know!

View more questions Search