Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mike1980 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2008, 05:09 PM
    95 honda blowing black smoke
    Honda seems to be blowing what seems to be black smoke and it smells if the car is left turned on. Wondering if this means the end of my engine or what?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2008, 05:12 PM
    You have an oil leak into the engine somewhere that is causing the black smoke. Probably some kind of gasket is blown hence the oil leaking and getting burned by the engine. Would suggest you have someone you trust look at the car before you really blow something the endine is shot. If you do have it repaired with a new head gasket it's not going to be a cheap repair so keep that in mind. Get several estimates if you plan on keeping the car.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2008, 07:56 PM
    Normally:

. White smoke=antifreeze/water burning.
    . Blue smoke=oil burning.
    . Black smoke=too rich fuel.

Check for codes. Remove and check spark plugs--they should help explain what's going on.
    mike1980 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2008, 10:19 AM
    Don't know what I need to check codes but I checked the plugs and they seemed like they were smoked. THere wasn't any oil on them just a smooth cover of black dust.
    ms180sx Posts: 64, Reputation: 6

Mar 14, 2008, 10:44 AM
    Yeah/ black smoke is too much fuel so either your getting too much into the cylinder head i.e. bad fpr, injectors faulty or your not igniting the fuel, such as bad cap/ plugs or wires.

Change the plugs and wires, and see if the codes are from a cylinder misfire, or a bad injector.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2008, 05:11 PM
    The oxygen sensor controls injector fuel duration. Don't overlook checking/replacing this important sensor--it could be contributing to your black smoke problem.
    hiperf402 Posts: 106, Reputation: -1

Mar 25, 2008, 07:47 PM
    If the o2 sensor doesn't fix it, replace the etc sensor.May be telling computer that car is still cold. If it is an automatic, a tell-tale sign of this is that converter lock-up won't occur.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

16.5 hp Briggs and Stratton blowing white smoke [ 6 Answers ]

I have a 9 yr old Murray riding mower. The engine started blowing white smoke and looses power when on a incline. Move the mower to level and runs well.

Lawn-mower blowing black smoke upon cold pull [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Yard Machine push mower purchased new from home depot about 1.5 years ago. I keep it well oiled and it get used about once a week. Lately it's been working at about 75% and upon the first pull, black smoke comes out of the exhaust. I put new oil in a few weeks ago but not sure if that's...

1990 terrano import blowing black smoke [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Hope someone can help me with this problem I just bought an automatic 1990 Nissan Terrano with the 2.7L turbo diesel engine. When I first start it up while it is cold it drives perfect. Absolutely no problems. After the engine temps rise the trouble starts. From a stop I start to go and...

2000 Nissan Maxima blowing smoke [ 4 Answers ]

My 2000 Maxima blows smoke when I start it up! The longer the engine runs the more smoke it will blow when restarted. For example, if I just drive around the block and back, nothing! However if I drive say 10 miles or so, it will blow at restart. This condition will completely exaust the oil...

92 Honda Civic - black smoke for a few minutes after starting on a cold day [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Honda Civic 92 with twin cabi. In the past few months, every morning the engine starts normally for a few minutes, then the black smoke comes out of the exhaust, at the same time the idle is dropping and the engine is shacking. These symptoms appeared at the same time. If I rip up the...

View more questions Search