Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lori47 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2008, 10:10 AM
    Civil Suit
    :( My name is Lori and I have a credit card company that has turned over my debt to a collection/ law firm agency. I owed $1500.00 and I have not been able to pay them. However, I did contact the collection agency and they agreed that if I sent $30.00 a month it would prevent it from going to court. I've made 2 payments since the middle of Jan. I've not yet sent out a payment for March, and I've received a letter that I now have to appear in court on the 3'd of April. I'm not employed, and I'm worried that I can go to jail? Can anyone please give me some advice on what to expect or could or will happen.. This is in the state of Georgia..
    Thank you,
    Lori:(
    Scottish2008 Posts: 501, Reputation: 32

Mar 12, 2008, 10:33 AM
    I can't not see you going to jail over $1500.00 If you explain yourself in court to the judge I am sure you will be fine. You kepped up to your end with the agency right? Never the less you will not be going to jail over the matter. The main part of going to court is to basically come up with an agrement on how you will pay for the $1500.00 so it will be on paper and to which you will have to follow or you could go to jail. I hope this helped.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Civil law suit [ 5 Answers ]

I am considering suing my ex wife and her immediate family because they never tell me anything about my girls (17 & 14 years old); how they are doing, etc. They have interfered with my relationship with my daughters & have withheld visitation. I am fed up with this. She is the custodial parent. ...

Need to file a civil suit to get judgement [ 3 Answers ]

I have an ex spouse who I was paying child support. It took the courts over 3 months to approve to stop child support. Now my ex owes me $7k in back payments and refuses to give it back(obviously). I am in NY state, do I need a lawyer? I cannot go to small claims with it since the amount is larger...

Civil suit by creditor [ 1 Answers ]

Made last payment on car Oct. 2, 2002,car was picked up and sold BELOW fair market value. Now (April 23) was served with court papers re. suit to obtain judgement against me for difference between sale price of car and the loan. Live in Texas. 1. does 4 year statue of limitations apply to this? 2....

Civil Suit [ 7 Answers ]

Civil Suit -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I owned a mobile home about 3 years ago and was young and dumb, got into a high interest rate loan and could not make payments, voluntarily left and have been renting ever since. Now 3 years later am...

Civil Suit [ 1 Answers ]

I owned a mobile home about 3 years ago and was young and dumb, got into a high interest rate loan and could not make payments, voluntarily left and have been renting ever since. Now 3 years later am being sued I questioned the debt of about $35,000 when the loan was only $39,000, asking for the...

View more questions Search