tamanna572 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2006, 06:56 AM
    Can you tell me why earth has gravity
    Can you tell me why earth has garvity and why earth rotates
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Feb 1, 2006, 08:08 AM
    For all questions on Homework,concerning Astronomy:

http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/que...php?number=465

Read down the page,and follow all instructions.
    rajeevsrai Posts: 22, Reputation: 0

Feb 5, 2006, 04:58 AM
    Well this is a universal thing. Two objects no matter how light attract each other. However if the mass is not huge we donot feel attraction. But in case of earth mass is enormous(24 zeros after one) so the force is so high that u can experience it.mathematically
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Feb 5, 2006, 08:17 AM
    Gravity is a force of attraction that exists between any two masses, any two bodies, or any two particles. It is the attraction that exists between all objects.you can try these two linksGravity Basics and Gravity From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia they should be able to answer you questions completely. (O:
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Apr 2, 2006, 07:18 AM
    The earth rotates because the material from which it coalesced was rotating.
    This is something shared by all other celestial bodies such as our sun.
    thoth Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2006, 05:02 AM
    The Newtonian or classical description of gravity is that is is a force that occurs between two objects. This description gives no reason why object have gravity.

In the early 1900s Einstein formulated a new and much better theory of gravity which explained the gravitational attraction between two bodies. In his theory object warp the very fabric of the universe (know as spacetime) much as a bowling ball would warp a trapaline.

So now space itself is curved and this in turn determines where objects move. It is the distortion of spacetime caused by the earth for instance which makes the moon orbit us and the distortion caused by the sun that causes our orbit.

A good way of remembering this is
    'Space acts on matter telling it how to move, matter acts on space telling it how to curve'
    magadheera Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2010, 04:07 AM
    Comment on rajeevsrai's post
    Question is why two bodies attract and is not they fell attraction or not
    carlson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2011, 10:59 PM
    Actually, Gravity has no force just as still water has no force.

I have been trying to announce my answer to "Explaining Gravity" By now, we all know that gravity is everywhere and it's action can be compared to that of still water.

When an object is placed in water, pressure is put on by the water according to the volume of the water displsced... not the weight.

Gravity is like a vast sea and applies pressure on objects according to the volume of gravity an object displace in that vast sea of gravity. I believe that is how it acts, but just what it is, makes me wonder if it might be the sought after "Dark Matter."
    TezzyBhenBadd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2012, 02:33 PM
    What do gravity do and what is ravity and how does it reack to the earth
    k009 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2012, 11:45 AM
    Only rotating objects have gravity,when a planet rotates then there will a pressure on the surface of the planet ,we feels this pressure as gravity ,actually there is no gravity on d earth ,only d pressure due to rotation of earth makes the things to fall again on earth when they r thrown up,finally this pressure is different at poles n equator ,this pressure keeps the atmosphere n things to stick on earth

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Age of the Earth... [ 2 Answers ]

Explain the evidence for the age of Earth and why the oldest expected rocks will probably never be found.

Connecting a gravity fed shower [ 1 Answers ]

I am fitting a thermostaic mixer to a vented system using conventional hot water cylinder. The usual arrangement has the pipe coming from the top of the cylinder running horizontally and then Teeing into a vertical pipe which feeds hot water taps etc below and vents into the tank above. Normall I...

Gravity [ 3 Answers ]

How does the spinning of a planit affect its gravity.

Gravity [ 3 Answers ]

At a certain point between the earth and the moon, the gravitational attraction towards the earth is exactly balanced by the gravitational attraction towards the moon. If a spacecraft is at that certain point, what is its distance from the center of the earth?

Gravity: A push or a pull? [ 1 Answers ]

Is gravity bent space-time which causes mass to "slide down hill" or is it a push force or pressure that is everywhere the universe that is shielded by mass? What experiments do or would show which model is correct?

View more questions Search