Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joefigs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2008, 02:06 AM
    Offshore account
    Hey new to your ask me site but I love it
    Here my question I live in nj
    I owe about 10000 in debt they granished my wages and levy my bank acount
    I taked to the creditor and they want a lump sum of 8000 I'm fine with that but I need an account to save up in . Can they get my money if I put it in an offshore account ? It's a round about why of going at it but I hate the fact that any money in that acount will be taken . Thanks for your time
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2008, 05:34 AM
    Hello joe:

Your offshore account MIGHT be safe. Not all offshore accounts are the same.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2008, 06:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joefigs
    hey new to your ask me site but i love it
    here my question i live in nj
    i owe about 10000 in debt they granished my wages and levy my bank acount
    i taked to the creditor and they wnat a lump sum of 8000 i'm fine with that but i need an account to save up in . can they get my money if i put it in an offshore account ? its a round about why of going at it but i hate the fact that any money in that acount will be taken . thanks for ur time

Also, if you get called in for sworn discovery you have to give them this info -

I don't think you are saving any money here, anyway - interest will continue to run. Instead of putting the money in an account, why not just make payments to the creditor - unless you don't intend to pay the judgment.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 12, 2008, 06:32 AM
    I agree with Judy. If they offered you an $8K settlement that was probably for a limited time and on a lump sum basis. If you don't have $8K now, then they aren't going to wait. You would be better off negotiating a payment plan with them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Offshore Inheritance [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a Calif. US resident with UK citizenship. I'm receiving $20k inheritance in the UK. Should I keep it offshore? If so, in what type of a/c? Looking for the best way to manage funds.

Bank account seized. Received nationwide checks for claim (in account) can these be e [ 2 Answers ]

Small claims ct. seized bank account. Want to vacate nationwide claim checks for house repair from storm and vandalizim (can these be exempt funds?)

Tax and Offshore Company L-1 Visa [ 7 Answers ]

Hi Experts, I will be relocating to Texas on a L-1 Visa with my wife. I will have 162K Yearly so I guess my Tax declaration will be extremely high. Is there any legal way to minimize the taxes considering the Company is a multinational and they can pay me from any place to any place? (They have...

Can I hide my income in an offshore bank account if I am a 1099 contractor? [ 5 Answers ]

I just took a position as a loan officer. Income will be high and so will be taxes. If I am an independent contactor, can I hide some of the income in an offshore bank account? I know that no one will advise upon it I understand that. But how do people get away with it? What kind of work field...

Inheritance taxed offshore? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a Calif. US resident with UK citizenship. I'm inheriting $20k in the UK. Will it be taxed if I deposit it here in CA? If so, will it be taxed if I keep it in the UK or elsewhere offshore? Looking for best way to manage funds.

View more questions Search