Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2008, 07:33 PM
    Can dogs be claustrophobic?
    Here's the situation: Trink gets stressed out whenever she is enclosed and I don't know why. For example, she has her bed on the floor at the head of my bed. She is perfectly content to go lay down there, and has slept there nightly. But, if I put an x-pen around it, suddenly she will be nervous, pacing, panting, whining. Take the x-pen away, and she will calm down after a bit and settle back down on her bed. And she will act the same way when going through check-out lanes at stores, or walking between two items that are placed close together. (For example, I moved a cat-tree in the bedroom to the wall at the foot of the bed, making the pathway go from about 4 feet to 2 feet. Getting her past that took some patience and coaxing and being on leash, and even then she darted past it.)

I will admit that she can eventually get used to the situation. But I'm wondering why she finds this so stressful, when it doesn't really change the situation that she is in.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2008, 07:51 PM
    I am no expert on dogs but I believe that dogs experience much of the same things we do.
    I believe it is quite possible for Trink to be claustrophobic. Add to that the fact that animals in general do not like to be cooped up unless they are conditioned to it from early on.
    Like if you do not get your puppy accustomed to liking its crate from the time it is little it is hard to get them to want any parts of it when they are older.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2008, 08:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    I am no expert on dogs but I believe that dogs experience much of the same things we do.
    I believe it is quite possible for Trink to be claustrophobic. add to that the fact that animals in general do not like to be cooped up unless they are conditioned to it from early on.
    Like if you do not get your puppy accustomed to liking its crate from the time it is little it is hard to get them to want any parts of it when they are older.
    See... that's the strange thing. She's an ex-racer and ex-breeder, so she's spent the vast majority of her life crated. Which is why greyhounds generally don't have any problems with being crated. So I am surprised that she gets stressed by being penned up.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2008, 08:17 PM
    Hmmm maybe she feels like she is retired now and should have the freedom to go with the retirement??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hot Dogs For Dogs [ 7 Answers ]

My 20 Month Old -13 Lb Female Shih Tzu Has Always Been A Picky Eater. Recently We Gave Her A Beef Hot Dog... she Won't Eat Anything Else. I Give Her 2 Hot Dogs At Noon & 2 At 6pm... she Lovvvvvvvvves Them & Is Happy As Can Be. Am I Feeding Her Too Much & Is She Getting Proper Nutrition? Thank You

Are hot dogs safe for dogs [ 7 Answers ]

Are hot dogs safe for me to feed to my dog,or are there any health issues I should be concerned with?

Too Many Dogs? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I have five dogs. The first one we got is a Yorkie/lasa mix His name is Teddy, he is about 18 months. We then got a Yorkie, Benjie, he is just a year+ then came a little Poodle, Peep and her brother Mr Brown, they will be one on February 1st. I am having a problem house training them all....

Dogs [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone no when the pit bull banning started? I need 2 know because I'm doing a speech on the bannings of pit bulls.

Dogs don't get along [ 1 Answers ]

How do I get my 3 yr old chihuahua to accept my 3 month old Italian Greyhound? The puppy is smaller than the chihuahua, but he acts scared of the puppy. He tries to bite him if he is too close and shows his teeth when he is around. Help, please!!

View more questions Search