Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    av578 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2008, 12:55 PM
    Tax liability while on OPT status
    Hi,

I am an Indian citizen. I came to the US on a F1 Visa in August 2006. I graduated in May 2007, applied for OPT status and joined a US corporation as a in-house legal counsel in November 2007. (I work under the direct supervision of a senior level executive).

I am married. My husband came to the US on F1 Visa in August 2008 - he is not working in the US and does not draw any income currently.

Can you please advise me which forms I need to file?

Also, are there any deductions that I can claim either under a tax treaty between US and India or on account of my marital status?

Thank you very much,
    av578
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 28, 2008, 02:14 PM
    You will need to file Form 1040NR if you ended 2007 under a F-1 visa. You can claim a standard deduction of $5,350 and you can also claim your husband as a dependent. You will have to apply for an ITIN using Form W-7 for your husband.

If you converted to H-1 or H-1B before 1 December 2007, you can file jointly with your husband and you both CHOSE to be treated as resident aliens. This will allow you to claim the $10,700 joint standard deduction plus two $3,400 personal exemption (for yourself and your husband).

The downside is that:

• you must WAIT to meet the Substantial Test before you can file, which means you must wait until sometime in June 2008.
    • you must declare ALL 2007 world-wide income. There are two offsets available, by either claiming a Foreign Tax Credit (Form 1116) or a Foreign Income Exclusion (Form 2555).

Even with the downside, this is probably the best way for you to file. The W-7 will also have to be submitted as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax liability under OPT v L/H1B visas [ 8 Answers ]

I completed a degree in the summer of 2007 in the United States and was issued an OPT employment card commencing 1 July 2007 expiring 30 June 2008. I started work in September 2007 in New York and live in Manhattan. It is possible that I am eligible to work under the 'L' visa in the...

F1 OPT status tax withhold [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am a F1 student and just got my OPT due next Oct. Right now I am working full-time. Do I need to pay the Social Security in W-2? Am I the exempt individual? Thank you very much, Irene

F1-OPT-H1 tax status [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I have been reading QA for a while, and the forum is very useful. As I understand, if I have been in US for less than 5 years, then I am exempted from SSN and Medicare taxes. Here's my situation. I had been here on F1 from Aug 7, 2001-Jan 14, 2006. Been on OPT from Jan 15,2006 to...

F1 (OPT) to H1, Tax Status? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, This is a very informative site. This is my case: Dec. 2001 to 06.08.05 ---> F1/OPT (Exempt from counting) 06.09.05 to 12.31.05 ---> H1 (206 Days) I came to US on Dec. 2001. I'm single , have filed "1040NREZ+8843" for 2004, 2003, 2002. My questions are:

Income tax for H1 and OPT status [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I started working on my OPT from May to July and In July last week I started working on H1. Now What Income tax forms I need to fill out. I don't know nayhting about it. I will really appreciate a detailed response. I worked for two different companies ( one on OPT and one on H1 B Status). ...

View more questions Search