Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hotamigo Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2008, 12:36 PM
    Line of Credit - 20k (Cannot pay)
    Hi,

I need your help as every other person nowadays is with Debt.

I had a 20k line of credit (From RBC) outstanding for a while now (2 yrs). The case has been forwarded to NCO collection agency.
    Now the problem is that they keep on harassing me and calling me. At this point in time I have a part time job and cannot keep up with the expenses. I wanted to pay and my intention is also clear but I need some kind of payment arrangements with them which they are not willing to discuss. They are very rude. I am not surprised at that. That's their job and that's what they do.

My question to you is this and I would really apprecicate if you could help or provide your expert opion on it.

What are my legal rights.can they take me to court. If so?? Then what happens.Also what is SOL.How is that applied in my case? I have heard about the new 2 year law.

Also can they garnish my wages. I only have a part time job and the other income I have is the child tax benefits that I get. Can they get those if lets say the court takes the case over. Can the judge forfeit it. I don't have any other income nor have any assets or a house. I live in rented basement with my 2 kids and husband. My husband is working and has a decent job but nothing great.

Please provide me with your opinion.

I really hope to hear from you soon. Note that I do not plan to sign a consumer proposal or file for bankruptcy.

Thanks,
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2008, 09:18 PM
    They could possibly garnish your paychecks or bank account should the receive a judgment against you, and they could try to do that, like take you to court and perhaps attempt to sue you for the money. I am not sure about SOL in this case. You may want to get an attorney since they will not discuss payment arrangements with you, and if they are being rude or harassing via the phone, to the point where it is inappropriate, that is a violation of the Fair Credit and Debt Collection act. They cannot call at times known to be unacceptable to you, so express your discontent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit Card Debt Should I Pay? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi My Father Was Given A Credit Card Several Years Ago And Was Financially Unable To Pay It Off. Now He Has Been Served With A Court Date To Pay This Credit Card. He Does Not Own Anything And Is On Social Security, I Heard That There Is Nothing They Can Do To Him To Make Him Pay This Now. Please...

Pay old credit card dept [ 8 Answers ]

My husband & I owe 1000.00 on a credit card, hav'nt heard from in over 3 yrs, A man claiming to be a 3rd party to the account contacted my husband today at work stating we now owe 1700.00 on the card we must settle today for 1200.00 in a lump sum or spread out over 4 months the 1700.00. I called...

Do I pay sell my stock, pay off my mortgage or credit card debt? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Here are my dilemmas. I own a two family home worth $925,000. I have $95K and five years left on this mortgage. This home gives me about $1,200 in income AFTER expenses are paid each month. I don't live in this home. I have $135K in a 401K and approximately $135K in stock. I have...

Can equity line of credit loan balance be frozen and possibly used to pay creditors [ 1 Answers ]

If I continue to pay my home equity line of credit loan and leave an available balance that can be taken out if needed. Is it possible that that available balance can be frozen and if so can it be taken from me to pay other bills? My bank account was frozen because of a estimated sales tax bill...

Credit Cards-Can't pay [ 1 Answers ]

H. I am pregnant w/ my first child and in serious credit card debt. I tried to make payment arrangements for what I could afford w/ my creditors, but after approx. 3 months they wanted more than I could afford. I am in the process of selling my house for what I owe on it because I cannot afford it...

View more questions Search