Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mom2006 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2006, 08:37 PM
    Child Support Question
    I live in Texas. My daughter's father took a job in Iraq for a very large pay increase last February. I have contacted the local child support agency but they say they can only modify the order if he is back in the states for at least 6 months. This won't happen for a long time. He comes back for short weekly visits about three times a year. He has signed on with his company for at least another year. The child support order was based on a yearly salary of $24,000 originally. I know he makes a lot more than this now. What really irks me is that he said he was going to take this job to give his daughter a better life? Yet, she gets hardly anything while he lives it up partying in Dubaii and on his last return he purchased an H3 just so he can have something to drive when he is on his short visits in Texas. Does anyone have any idea where I can go for help? Or have had experience with this situation? Thanks in advance.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2006, 07:12 AM
    Hi, mom,
    If your local child support agency says you can't modify the court order unless he is back for at least 6 months, then your other option is to get a lawyer. The lawyer can explain if there are any "loopholes" in this decision.
    Your child's father has no intention of "giving your daughter a better life". If he did, you would money coming in for her, to put in savings, etc.
    Your only hope is to contact a lawyer, explain the situation, and get his/her advice.
    I do wish you and your daughter the very best.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 1, 2006, 04:22 PM
    The child support agency can not modify the order, only the court can do that. You need to get your attorney to request that the court modify the order, when he is back in county, they serve him. He has to produce income records. He may well get the case posponed, after posponement, cases can drag on for months and months, but going back to court is the only way to increase child support, unless the agreement started a percentage of his income,not a flat dollar amount
    I do not see where this is an issue for the court

You need to ask an attorney not a government department.
    mom2006 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2006, 06:51 PM
    After reading your message and mine, I noticed that it does sound like I meant for the child support agency to modify the order. So let me correct myself, what I meant was that they will assist in serving the papers and scheduling a court date. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

Thank you both for your help and I believe I will have to contact an attorney on the matter. This is just a really expensive route but I'll see it through.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support for child out of wedlock [ 8 Answers ]

My friend has been dating a man who is a millionaire(really) for two years. He is married and has two kids with wife. He has been financially supporting her all this time. Her role was to be available to jet set the world with him at a moments notice and of course look good and sleep with him. ...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Another modification to child support question [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, After proposing mediation for a more structured visitation order, my ex-husband (Respondent)decided to get an attorney. I did pro-per (Petitioner) because it wasn't such a big issue to me, I just wanted something in writing instead of the assumptions as to who it was that had a weekend with my...

Child Support [ 2 Answers ]

My divorce decree states that my ex-husband was to pay child support to my child school. He was not paying the tuition and I could no longer afford to pay it so I took my child out of private school. My ex-husband randomly pays support and nowhere near what the court order stipulated. Can I get...

Child support and debt question [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there I used to live in the UK, but now am resident here in the states. When my ex husband and I divorced there were debts left from the marriage. Over here I am trying to pay them but alas about a year behind payment schedules which I shall be changing soon hopefully. One question is Will non...

View more questions Search