Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tstorm2005 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2008, 12:16 PM
    Changing my sons last name
    What do I have to do so my son can have the same last name as me and his father, we weren't married when I had him so I just my maiden name:confused:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 11, 2008, 12:23 PM
    Contact your local registrar's office that is responsible for birth certificates. They will explain the procedure for adding your husband's name and amending the because.
    LifePaparazzi Posts: 86, Reputation: 9

Mar 11, 2008, 01:03 PM
    File a petition for change of name. You can use and attorney for that. You can have an attorney JUST file the paperwork for you. You can call the courthouse and ask them if they can tell you exactly what needs to be submitted. File the papers yourself, and just pay a bit of court cost.

I would try to get a hold of a sample from someone else. Go to your clerk of court office and ask to see a sample of the paperwork. If they can not provide one without a case number, you will have to look court calendars from the past, until you find one that pertains to a change of name. Use the case number to get a look at the file. Copy, or make notes if they won't let you copy, on how the pages are laid out, and how text is written. Go home, make your own court docs. Then submit with court filling fee. (Anywhere from $60 -150)

There is also a requirement, in most places, of publication. It requires you to place your intent to change the name for (Initials only) X.Y.Z. a minor, mother ------ - ----- and the son of ------ - ------, born on --/--/----. Anyone that has reason to object must file written objection to --------- before the date of --/--/---- and provide evidence and reason.

You will have to run it for a certain amount of time, in the local newspaper or papers... depending on requirement.

But the whole process is not as difficult as it sounds. Finally, there are also companies online that can assist you with these matters, for a range of fees. Just type in "Legal name change in the state of --.

Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing My Sons Name? [ 1 Answers ]

How would I and my wife change her sons name if he was born in the Philippines? He will be getting his Green card soon, so does that make us able to change his name here? Or would we still have to get this done in the philippines? :confused: we are a bit confused on how we should do this.. please...

About my sons [ 1 Answers ]

My questions are these why is it that my 8 mth old son isn't walking yet and why my 3 year old hasn't boo boo in the potty yet

Changing my sons surname? [ 3 Answers ]

My son went to live with his father two years ago we have a joint residence order. My son resides there during the week and with me at the weekends. According to my sons father my son would like to change his surname to his. Apparently my son was upset when the school referred to him as Mr (my...

Changing my sons last name [ 3 Answers ]

My son is now 7 months old and his father abandoned us right before christmas I was wondering I need to change his last name back to mine and not his looser fathers do I need a lawer to do that because he will not sign the papers or can I do it by myself

My sons problem [ 9 Answers ]

My son was seeing this girl and she ended up pregnant. They are not together anymore. She is still with her husband, which she told my son that they were separated. She had twins in December. She then called and told me and my son that the babies were born dead, so we went on with our lives. We...

View more questions Search