Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    veraburrell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2008, 11:59 AM
    Religious Organizations
    Should the Pastor and his family members handle the church finances?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Mar 11, 2008, 12:13 PM
    I can't speak for other churches, but in the Catholic Church I belonged to in Kentucky, we had elected and appointed of the laity to serve on committees for that stuff.

In fact I was chair of the finance committee. It was my job to develop the upcoming budget for the next year, hold quarterly meeting with the full committee as to how we were doing with respect of the current budget. And I was also responsible for the end of year budget reconciliation of the budget and submission of the final summary up to our Diocesan center.

The priest attended every one of the meetings and he had the ultimate say on expenditures, however the rule was major expenses, full approval before submitting to the Bishop for final approval.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2008, 05:36 AM
    Hello vera:

If they're good at it, why not?

excon
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 12, 2008, 06:01 AM
    For all nonprofit organizations there should be absolute transparency of finances. It doesn't matter who "handles" the finances so much as what the oversight structure for the financial anagement is. There must be an oversight committee that sets policies, defines fprocedures, and has the authority to review all financial transactions. It is also highly recommended that the finances be audited by an independent professional auditor each year - I know many churches don't bother with this, but IMO it's necessary to avoid situations such as a having a "control happy" pastor from running wild with the church's assets.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

From Religious Affiliation to No Religious Association [ 17 Answers ]

I just wanted to know if there are people here who have chosen to leave a certain religious community and did not replace it with another...like going from Christianity to atheism for example... If so, what was it like to tell your family? Did they push you away, try to change you, or accept...

Charity organizations [ 2 Answers ]

In the area where I live there are the goodwill stores and I do not understand how these stores are regulated? One of the stores in my area has stuff piled up from floor to ceiling everywhere with do not touch signs. They are selling items in a small space and it seems everything that IS for sale...

Atheist Organizations [ 131 Answers ]

Hello: I'm an atheist. However, I've never found the need to bond with other atheists. Indeed, in my view, an organization for atheists is an anathema to atheism. In fact, I don't believe there IS an atheist organization. Simply put, they don't exist. Besides that, a very good reason of...

View more questions Search