Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    codyoliver Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2008, 11:40 AM
    Lead closet replaced by pvc closet on toilet
    Plumber replaced a lead closet with a pvc closet and now the toilet doesn't line up the way it used to.. It is forward 2" and sideways about 1-1/2 " Plumber says that is the best he can do.. I don't believe that . Is there a way it can line up like before.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 11, 2008, 12:34 PM
    Short of getting a new plumber you could ask him to install an offset flange at his expense. That will likely only get you 1.5" back. The toilet should be 12" from back wall to the center of the drain pipe and I have yet to meet a plumber who could not accomplish this.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 11, 2008, 01:44 PM
    Codyoliver:

Bob's right... pretty rare that we can't make things work out MOST of the time.

There has been an instance or two where I had to replace the leaded pipe/flange and the darn thing just would not line up with the old toilet hole. See, when they used cast iron and were installing lead pipes, most of the time they ran things square and no issues... OCCASSIONALLY, one of these guys just shot the drain line out at any *willy-nilly* angle they wanted too... hard to match up to that when fittings of today are rigid and fixed and follow specific angles.

Now, with that said, I think Bob's right, an offset flange could probably have helped here... or plumber could have used a 22.5 degree fitting to offset the pipe over (if room). Call the plumber back and ask him if these were options he tried... or that he COULD TRY NOW ;)... see what he says.

IF he will not fix.. or can prove somehow that he cannot improve the fit, then they do make toilets that are roughed in for 14 " (most are 12" like Bob said). THIS stinks, of course, but would give back the finished look you had before (just an option for you).

Measure from the finished wall behind toilet (not off baseboard -->>off the finished wall) to the center of the toilet bowl caps. Tell us what that measures. Also, tell us what floor this is on..ok? Talk soon... MARK

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 11, 2008, 02:26 PM
    Mark, we are a bit low on the totem poll to merge posts. About all we can do is report and inappropriate post and have it moved to a new forum or removed if its obsene.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 11, 2008, 02:31 PM
    LOL... got you Bob... thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Closet flange broke pvc [ 1 Answers ]

I recently installed ceramic tile in my bathroom. The toilet worked its way loose, I tried to tighten the bolt and it came out of the groove. So I pulled the toilet up and put the bolt back in I also replaced the wax ring. After reinstalling the toilet this happened again. So I decided to take...

Replacing a brass closet flange on a lead pipe [ 3 Answers ]

Okay, so I'm renovating my bathroom and running into some issues with the old plumbing. Here is a link to some pictures of the situation which will do a much better job at describing things than I can. Picasa Web Albums - Jonathan - plumbing Obviously the ideal situation would be to...

Repair/replace pvc closet flange [ 4 Answers ]

The toilet in the attached apartment needed a new wax ring because of leakage.After the toilet was removed I found a broken pvc closet flange.It was broken where the flange bolt slides in it's slot.It looks like someone glued a 4" closet flange on a stub of 3" pvc that is 3.5" long.The other end of...

Broken PVC closet flange [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, Can any one help me?. My basement had a minor flood and as I was tearing out the sub floor I accidentally broke off the toilet flange. The flange was cleanly broken off with the remaining tail piece still glued in the drain pipe. The ID of the broken off piece is 3 3/8". I cannot find a...

Offset closet flange, lead soil pipe [ 5 Answers ]

I've reviewed a bunch of questions/answers on this forum and have some ideas, but my problem is pretty specific, so I figured I'd describe it and hope for the best. (BTW, I'm totally impressed with the quality of responses on this forum!) Re-doing a half-bath, but did not plan ahead too well,...

View more questions Search