MDConyers Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2008, 06:23 PM
    Thanks everybody for your help. I will try and let you know what happens
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

Mar 13, 2008, 12:21 PM
    Please let us know how it went!

Mar 13, 2008, 02:08 PM
    Well, I showed up at the court house this morning. The Collection attorney showed up and asked if I wanted to discuss this case with her before it started. I said no, I would rather do it before the judge. Well the judge called our case and I stood up, and said that I was here, and so did the attorney. Then we were directed outside to discuss this matter. She then asked me if I was denying that this was my account. I said without validation I cannot deny or admit that this was my account. She promptly told me, well we do not need to verify when we sue you, that should have been done before we sent you a summons. I said well if we go back in there, I will ask you to validate this in front of the judge. She said well, I will put in a motion to dismiss because I do not have validation at this point. I said that is fine. So it was dismissed without prejudice. Meaning that they can try again if and when they get validation. If that happens I will submit a motion to dismiss sighting that the statute of limitations as ended.

There were four other collection cases before mine, where the accused did not show up.
    Immediate judgements were handed down. Got to fight it people.

Anyway thanks everyone who gave me advice and I will keep you all posted as to what happens.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 13, 2008, 06:05 PM
    Way to go! And a good point that you should never ignore the summons. That only hands them the judgement.

One point, the SOL goes to the initiation of legal action. So if the SOL had not expired when they first bought suit, then its not going to have expired if they reinstate.

Mar 13, 2008, 06:19 PM
    The SOL had clearly expired when they first brought the suit against me. I did not mention that to here, I did not want to get caught in a lie, I had already told her I could not deny or admit that the account was mine.

Yes, to anyone who is reading this now, never ever ignore a summons. It can and most likely will cost you dearly.

Scott,
    I really appreciate the confidence booster. You are a bright guy!!

Also, anybody know anything about how I could get the dismissal without prejudice turned into a dismissal with prejudice? Should I even be fooling with that thought. If I can get it turned into a dismissal with prejudice. They could not come back and refile the claim.

Thanks

MD

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being SUED by TWO collection agency for same CC debt [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Can I be sued by 2 collection agencys for the same old debt. Which was received 10/2007 I am currently in court with one, answered Summons last week. Then I had another collection agency refereing to their client as Discover say that they entered a judgement on me 09/06. I have no...

Sued by debt collection agency [ 9 Answers ]

My boyfriend is being sued by a major credit card company who passed his debt, some 6,665 dollars (we are not even sure if this is the right amount) onto to a credit collection agency. We have very little documentation and many questions regarding our options. Payments stopped maybe 1 yr and a...

Being sued by collection agency [ 2 Answers ]

I am from Illinois and I was summons to court last month got there late so a judgement was put against me. Court was still in session when I got there. When I saw a lawyer walk out I asked if my name was already called she went and checked and she told me I had a judgement against me I explained to...

View more questions Search