Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cori76 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2006, 07:43 PM
    Cashed in Stock And taxes
    I inherited some stocks from my father when he passed away. I cashed some of them in last year, and was wondering about how the amount of money I received was taxed. Is the whole gross amount taxed as income? Or is there another way that the amount is taxed?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 31, 2006, 07:58 PM
    Cori76:

You do not pay taxes on the gross proceeds. You have to determine the capital gains.

The basis of the stock is stepped up to the price of the stock the day your father died (or exactly six months after your father died; it depends on how your father's estate decided to treat the stock).

You must pay capital gains taxes on the difference between the stepped-up basis and what you sold the stock for.

Jan 31, 2006, 08:12 PM
    I believe, but am not totally sure right off hand, that the value of the stock might have decreased since that time. What happens then?
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 31, 2006, 08:47 PM
    Cori76:

Then you will be able to write off the loss against other income.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2006, 12:39 AM
    What stock is it?

http://www.google.ca/search?oi=stock...l%3Den%26lr%3D

Try Yahoo Finance to find stock quotes.

Feb 5, 2006, 07:47 AM
    How do I find out exactly what the price of the stock was on that day or six months after?
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2006, 12:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cori76
    How do I find out exactly what the price of the stock was on that day or six months after?
    What stock is it?
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 5, 2006, 07:39 PM
    Call any stock broker. They can tell you!

Feb 8, 2006, 04:08 PM
    They are Anheuser Busch stocks.
    Lotta Posts: 124, Reputation: 8

Feb 8, 2006, 04:15 PM
    Go to Yahoo finance or Google it (BUD).

The stock name for it is BUD.

Once you type in BUD it will give you a chart. The chart can go back as for as the stock has been trading.

What month or day would it be that you need the stock price for?

Do you know how many shares you have?

If you have 100 shares then they are at least worth $4400. If you have 1,000 shares then you have $44,000.

BUD started the year in 05 at around $51 per share and ended the year at around $44 per share.

It has been a good performing stock. If he bought it around 1985 then the stock has appreciated around 2,000 percent with stock splits.

Sorry to hear that your father passed away.
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2006, 10:02 PM
    Here is the link to Anheuser Busch

Its stock symbol is BUD

http://www.google.ca/search?oi=stock...l%3Den%26lr%3D

Use the chart to look at past stock prices.
    Lotta Posts: 124, Reputation: 8

Feb 10, 2006, 05:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cori76
    I inherited some stocks from my father when he passed away. I cashed some of them in last year, and was wondering about how the amount of money I received was taxed. Is the whole gross amount taxed as income? Or is there another way that the amount is taxed?
    It may depend on the amount that was cashed in.
    Are you say a few hundred dollars or a few thounsand dollars that you cashed in?

It may also have to do with your tax bracket.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K cashed out - 10% Penalty? [ 6 Answers ]

Well we had no choice but to take out our 401K We had rolled it over when my husband switched jobs. We thought we couldn't touch it because we didn't fit the criteria but the secretary at the retirement place said she found a loop hole and we could cash out the rollover amount at least just not...

Cashed in 401k for divorce expenses [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering now that tax season is in full swing, if I could get a tax break on my 401k money that I cashed out. I was told at one time divorce could be used as a hardship. I have two dependants and I made $32,000 last year. Any information would be helpful. Thank you.

Filing for 2004 taxes and 2005 taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I just received my W2 from my employer and there were 2 W2's. One W2 was for the wages of Dec 2004 (since the employer pays 1 month delayed salary) and the other one was for Jan - Nov 2005. I want to know if I can refile my 2004 taxes since I just got my Dec 2004's W2. If I add that...

I Cashed In My 401k Need Help! [ 8 Answers ]

Help I Lost My Job In 2004 So I Cashed In My 401k. I Am Single And Have One Child Still At Home.. the Company I Worked For Kept 20percent Of The Amount And Sent It In On My Federal Taxes. My Question Is Will I Have More Taxes And Pentalties When I File This Year, I Am Now Working But Not Making...

Cashed out my 401k [ 3 Answers ]

Hi , I recently cashed out my 401k,I was 100 % vested I'm 40 yrs old, what are my taxes and pentalties of 15,700 dollars

View more questions Search