Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SPST Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2008, 08:13 AM
    Tax 2007for f1-opt status student married to resident alien
    Hi,
    I am on F1-OPT status. I am married to a canadian national, who is resident alien in USA for tax purposes. I did not have any SSN and MEDICARE TAXES withheld from my paycheck as I am a non resident alien in USA.
    While filing taxes for year 2007, as I was married on dec 31, 2007,Can I file my tax jointly with my husband as a resident alien.
    Does it not conflict with my status as a NON RESIDENT ALIEN which I mentioned in the FORM W4?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 28, 2008, 01:39 PM
    Yes, you can file jointly with your spouse, as long as you sign and attach a statement to the return stating that you CHOOSE to be treated as a resident alien for all of 2007 and you declare ALL 2007 world-wide income on your tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual Status Married Filing Jointly? Or Treaty-Based Single Non-Resident Alien? [ 1 Answers ]

I worked in the US for a US company in 2006 (TN visa) for 1.5 months and filed a non-resident alien return as a single person. I worked in 2007 in the US until the end of August (still on TN visa), then returned home to Canada and worked for a Canadian employer for the rest of the year. I had a...

Tax for F-1 visa on OPT with tax treaty, resident alien for tax purpose [ 2 Answers ]

HI--I have multiple "identities" with regard to tax: 1. I'm an F-1 visa holder 2. I'm on OPT from Sept.2007-Aug.2008 3. I have benefits of tax treaty, under which I can be exempted from federal taxes up to $5000 a year for wages, and unlimited amount for fellowship 4. I'm a resident alien for...

Resident Alien, F1 student, tax forms W2 and 1099 misc [ 1 Answers ]

Hi guys, I am a resident alien (in US since 2001 on F1 visa) and currently on F1 status. In Dec. 2007 I worked for a small period and received a 1099 misc. ($500) and other than that I was full time student and got my W2 for the year. I am from India and my W2 is for the GRA work. My...

W4 marital status filling? Non-resident on F1 OPT married with non-resident on F2 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I just got married, in Massachusetts, on August 10th 2007, and now I started to understand a little bit better how the W4 form works for non-residents in F1 Visa with an OPT (Optional Practical Training) autorization. The situation is that my wife is on a F1 Visa, she graduated on May...

How to decide resident alien status for filing Tax return [ 1 Answers ]

I am in the United States since January 1, 2006 and I am still here in United States. I am in H1 Visa and my wife and son are on H4. We all arrived together. Can I consider myself as resident alien for filing tax return? Can I file return as a married filing jointly? My wife is not working.

View more questions Search