Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zombiepencil Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2008, 06:08 PM
    Blood type of child
    If the father has blood type A+ and the mother has blood type AB- what are the possible blood types of the child?

Answers are greatly appreciated.
    HelenAg Posts: 69, Reputation: 3

Mar 10, 2008, 07:42 PM
    Far as I know... children can have either AA or AB blood, either positive or negative. My husband and I are these blood types. Our children are A+, AB-,A+ Both A+ kids had jaundice at birth. Mother is AB-
    jem02081 Posts: 65, Reputation: 19

Mar 13, 2008, 05:35 PM
    What if Dad was heterozygous for A?
    Then the baby could be either A or B
    Right?
    In a similar manner Dad could be either heterozygous or homozygous for the Rh trait
    So the baby could be either Rh+ or Rh-

... This does look like a homework question!

Mar 13, 2008, 07:13 PM
    Am not sure of the Ab type, but I am sure that RH- is only received as a recessive. Either both parents have +- for RH or one is RH+- and the other RH-. In the last case, the children stand a 50-50 chance of being RH -. In the former case, I think its 25% that each child would be RH-. If you have an RH- child, and both parents are RH positive, then they are RH-RH+ carries in order to give that child the RH- Does that make sense at all?
    2008chrissy Posts: 131, Reputation: 18

Mar 19, 2008, 02:39 AM
    The baby could have blood type A, AB, or B

The father could be AA or AO
    And the mother is simply AB

Have you been taught a punnett square method? This will simplify everything for you.

Mar 20, 2008, 07:36 AM
    Doesn't t he punnet square use genotypes? I'm not sure of the genotypes involved, unless its AA, AB, AO, as you say, is A dominant in both? I am assuming so since the one parent is A. AB can only be AB, right? So there would be a chance of a B child. I wish I knew all my children's blood types, as my spouse is A+ and I am AB-. I know for sure two of my children's types: A+ and AB-. I did get RH shots after the first two children, so they must have been RH+.
    2008chrissy Posts: 131, Reputation: 18

Mar 20, 2008, 04:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HelenAg
    Doesn't t he punnet square use genotypes? I'm not sure of the genotypes involved, unless its AA, AB, AO, as you say, is A dominant in both? I am assuming so since the one parent is A. AB can only be AB, right? So there would be a chance of a B child. I wish I knew all my children's blood types, as my spouse is A+ and I am AB-. I know for sure two of my children's types: A+ and AB-. I did get RH shots after the first two children, so they must have been RH+.

But your child could have B...

If Above I stated that an person with "A blood" could be AO or AA
    A person with "AB blood" is only AB

Set-up two punnett squares.

AO with AB

AA with AB

You will see that with the AO and AB parents that there is a 1 in 4 chance the child will be BO, which is "B type" blood. I assure you this is correct.

Mar 21, 2008, 08:52 AM
    Thanks for explaining this so well.
    jp1966 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2011, 07:42 PM
    This was a question involving our family. My husband is AB, I'm A+, one daughter is A+, and one is 0+; the third is unknown at this time. We lost every other baby in the first trimester; just wondering if blood type had any bearing on these lost babies.
    bananab Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2012, 05:29 PM
    If my husband ab-an I am a+ an my son is a+ is my husband the father
    bananab Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2012, 05:32 PM
    If my husband ia a+ and I am a+ and my son blood typ is a+ is my husband the father

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blood Type [ 5 Answers ]

I am blood type O-, my husband O+. When I gave birth to my son I was told he was type A+. Is that possible or they made a mistake?

Blood type [ 4 Answers ]

I want to know can ap person with a o-blood have a child by a person with a b+blood type?

Same blood type [ 4 Answers ]

I want to get pregnant but my husband and I have the same blood type (A+) and people have told me that by us having the same blood type that something could come out wrong with the baby! Is that true?

Blood Type [ 2 Answers ]

Can a man who has blood type B be the father of a child who has blood type AB if the child's mother is blood type AB?;)

View more questions Search