Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dastew55 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2008, 05:47 PM
    How do you compute the current price of bonds?
    How do you compute the current price of bonds?
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2008, 12:47 PM
    By figuring out the present value of the bond face value, and the present value of the series of interest payments, and adding them together. There are several methods that can be used to figure this out, such as charts, equations, financial calculator and Excel. Without knowing what method you're using, I don't think it would be productive to just explain one of them and hope it's the one you're supposed to be using. (Not to mention that equations can be different in different books, using different variables to represent things, and financial calculators can also work differently.)

i.e. more detail would be needed to truly answer this.
    Lextechs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2008, 10:07 AM
    I am using excel to figure out this $1,000 par value bonds outstanding at 8 percent interest. The bonds will mature in 25 years. Compute the current price of the bonds if the present yield to maturity is:
    a. 7 percent.
    b. 10 percent.
    c. 13 percent.

When I do that total of r the 10% and 13% the value is lower shouldn't it be higher?
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2008, 12:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lextechs

When i do that total of r the 10% and 13% the value is lower shouldn't it be higher?
    Sorry to say I can't really help with Excel, cause I don't do them that way. (I can do them with equations faster than I can open Excel and find the functions.)

But I can tell you that the values should be lower. The bonds are paying only 8% which makes them worth less than a yield of 10/13%. So this would be appropriate, yes.

Even though I can't help with Excel, if you give me your answers, I or something else can tell you if you're correct or not.
    aims Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2008, 08:07 PM
    Ok. How would you solve this using an equation? I am unable to find anyone who knows the equation.
    Uber Member

May 22, 2008, 05:06 PM
    Can you please next time start your own post.

The basic time value of money equations (not including simple interest) are:

Used to find the future value (maturity value) of a lump sum. Can also be used to solve for the present value (principal) by using a little algebra.

Used to find the future value or present value of an annuity, i.e. a series of payments. Again, can also be used to find the payment itself using algebra.

Where
    i = interest rate per compounding period.
    n = number of compounding periods.

That is,

and , where the number of times it compounds per year. So quarterly compounding, m = 4. Monthly compound, m = 12. Etc.

So, for instance if you have semi-annual interest payments of $500 for 10 years, at 8%, and you want the present value of those payments, then:

= 6795.16

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Compute the price of bonds on their issue date [ 2 Answers ]

Can you help please? On Jan 1 a company issues bonds with a par value of $300,000. The bonds mature in 5 years and pay 8% annual interest each June 30 and Dec 31. On the issue date, the market rate of interest is 6%. Compute the price of the bonds on the issue date. The following information is...

How do I compute total current assets [ 3 Answers ]

Having the following information, how do I compute total current assets. Land $ 9,000 Machinery 1,100 Accounts payable 1,750 Cash 400

Computing current price of bonds [ 4 Answers ]

My company has $1000 par value bonds outstanding at 8% interest. The bonds will mature in 25 years. How do I compute the current price of the bonds if the present yield to maturity is 7%?

Selling Price of Bonds.For the record, I HATE BONDS [ 3 Answers ]

General Toys, Inc. sold five year bonds having a face value of $100,000 and a coupon rate of 7% when the market rate was 9%. The present value of $1 at 9% for five periods is $0.6499. The present value of a $1 annuity for 5 periods at 9% is $3.8897. At what price did these bonds sell? I came up...

View more questions Search