Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    superdude111 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2008, 02:12 PM
    Ex-employer will not allow 401K withdrawal
    Hi,

I quit my job Jan 2008 and my ex-employer says I have to wait one year before I can access my money. Something about a valuation period. Can this be correct? Can I roll it over to a IRA before the year is up?

Thanks,
    Frank
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 13, 2008, 08:56 AM
    I've never heard of anything like this - it seems to be a provision in your plan. Ask the plan administrator to cite the section in your plan's documents that doesn't allow you to access your money for a year. What is your 401(k) invested in? I'm wondering if perhaps the investment is in some instrument that has restrictions on frequency of trading?

I should think you could roll the assets to an IRA.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k withdrawal [ 3 Answers ]

How much income tax would I have to pay on $5000.00

401K withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

My husband took an early withdraw from his 401K for personal reasons, they took only 10% taxes off before we received it, we claimed it on our 2005 tax return as income from the 1099R and paid an additional 10% tax, now we receive a notice telling us we should have paid an additional 10%? Also, is...

401K withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

I'm wondering what the penalties are for withdrawing from a 401k early? :( :confused:

Hardship withdrawal for early withdrawal of 401K [ 0 Answers ]

I am, 56 years old, live in the State of Florida, and just lost my job. I have a small 401K ($6,000) with this company and want to withdraw all of it and put it in a savings account to help tide me over until I find another job. I know I will be charged a 10% early withdrawal fee, and I also...

View more questions Search