Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bkrabach Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2008, 01:30 PM
    Charitable Donation of Services - How to Record
    I own a computer software development company and we also provide web hosting services for our clients. We recently donated a years worth of hosting services to three churches and I was wondering how best to record this in our accounting system? I started by creating an invoice with a line item for the year of hosting services and another line item noting a donation of the same amount producing a zero balance invoice. In the end, however, that creates both a sale and donation against that sale and they negate each other. Is this the proper way to record donation of services to a charitable organization or is there a way to enter the donation without the sale to receive a tax benefit for the donation?

Thanks in advance,
    Brian
    MaggieMouse Posts: 226, Reputation: 8

Mar 12, 2008, 05:36 PM
    You are not making a sale. The conditions of recording a sale is a) goods are delivered or services are performed, which this qualifies. b) payment is reasonable secured, which is not your situation, you are not expecting to be paid.

For your tax benefits, have the organizations get you some paperwork that the IRS accepts. There are regulations specified in the IRS website under Charities and Non-profit. Generally only expense incurred or paid out-of-pocket are tax deductable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Charitable donation of time share week [ 9 Answers ]

I have a time-share week at Daytona beach that I would like to donate to my church for use by my Pastor or one of the Pastorial staff. How do I go about get an assessed value in writing and make the donation. The reason: I would like to use it as a tax deduction on my taxes next year. I have...

Charitable Contributions [ 3 Answers ]

I'm a church treasurer. A member has given a check for $10,000 for a building fund campaign and wants us to send him a receipt for $5,000 in 2007 and $5,000 in 2008. The donor obviously wants to take $5,000 for tax purposes in each of the two years. While I could set it up this way on the church...

Charitable donation [ 2 Answers ]

This one may be splitting hairs but I thought I would ask. I know you can't contribute your time and take a charitable deduction. But lets say your time involves producing a tangible product. For example, lets say you are a software developer. You develop an application that you deem worth...

Blood services donation denied [ 5 Answers ]

:( when I was teenager something bad happened sexually. I want to give blood one of questions on form did not know how answer. Answered wrong deny blood for life. Not my fault for experience. Explained still deny blood, blood clean.

Charitable Contributions [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Gospel Music Band. I have not applied for non-profit status although the real income is much less the $10,000 a year. An individual has expressed a desire to donate a Bus for us to travel in, however, they would like to write it off as a donation to this ministry. Is this possible?

View more questions Search