Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    balice Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2008, 08:11 AM
    Happy Hours at work and co-workers lack of inhibitions
    What's the best way from an HR perspective for an employee to deal with the following situation: I am a female working at a software firm. On Friday afternoons, my employer throws a happy hour on another floor in my building. They have munchies, wine and beer, people can mingle, eat, drink, and play ping pong and other games.

I'm in a situation where a male (married) co-worker who has an office a few doors down from me loses his inhibitions after he consumes a few alcoholic beverages at these happy hours. I rarely go to these events, but even if I run into this man in the hallway on my floor after he's had alcohol at a happy hour, he sometimes creeps me out with his behavior. It's about invading my personal space (pressing his body against me) and breathing a little too heavily in my face when he's under the influence – and he doesn't do it in front of others. I don't know this guy well enough to even want to have these kind of casual conversations with him on a frequent basis and I feel physically violated. I see it as an opportunity for him to hang around me for his own personal reasons. One time at a weekly meeting (where alcohol was not served) I observed him staring at my chest and it made me feel really uncomfortable.

I dress appropriately at work and I'm not "asking" for this type of attention. I mind my own business and focus on doing my job. I don't hang out at happy hour and I don't flirt with the men.

It's happened 3 times now with this guy. How have I dealt with it? I step a few feet away from him and cross my hands in front of my body and say something to end the conversation (like I'm busy and need to get back to my work).

It does the trick but it doesn't prevent it from happening again. The last time it happened, he chased me down the hallway as I was walking to my office. I felt ambushed.

When he's under the influence, he's unaware and he violates my personal boundaries. Also, he came into my office one time after a happy hour event and stood too close to me while I was seated in my chair. His body language was threatening and I'm concerned this could escalate with him. At 5:30 PM, when a lot of people are not around, in my kind of exterior office with a door, he could commit an assault of some sort, given enough booze.
    I see this as a red flag about him and I do not feel safe around this guy. I also feel angry because this "grownup" should know better. But apparently he doesn't and now I have to do something uncomfortable to make myself safe at work.

What do I do?

My first choice is to verbally tell this guy (without coming across as angry or rude) that I need more personal space. This is very unpleasant for me because I don't want to have to talk about this guy's creepy behavior to his face. But what other choice do I have? To keep putting up with it?

Do I tell my boss? Then he has to get involved and I really don't need the drama.

Do I talk to HR about it? My experience is that women are too often blamed for this type of stuff when they have nothing to do with it. So I really don't want to be "blacklisted" by my HR people as some sort of troublemaker.

My opinion is that this firm should not be serving alcohol to employees. I do not feel safe in my office after happy hour kicks in. I've also noticed that this co-worker often takes the party down to his office where he can hang out for a few extra hours with other employees and continue to drink in his office. This could be a disaster one of these days.

Yes, I could leave before happy hour kicks in and avoid the whole scene. But I tend to stay at my office until 6:30 PM, especially if I have a lot to finish up before the weekend.

Advice? Feedback??

Thanks!
    mafiaangel180 Posts: 629, Reputation: 103

Mar 10, 2008, 08:34 AM
    I would flat out tell HR that you no longer feel safe in your work environment due to the company serving alcohol (seriously what place does that?) and I would also mention the fact that you are getting harassed.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2008, 09:18 AM
    Hello b:

I don't know if that's your FIRST choice. Personally, I believe in giving people a chance to behave if they understand what I consider proper behavior in my presence.

I understand not wanting to personally confront this guy. How about an email or a letter? You seem perfectly capable of explaining yourself without offending him. Tell him that if he does it again, you WILL report him. If he DOESN'T do it again, forget it ever happened.

Plus, if you kill the party, they're going to find out that you did it, and then you'll be toast there.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are you supposed to miss work because you have to do community service hours? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone, Does someone who has a full time job; is supposed to miss work because needs to do community service hours? Thank You!:confused:

Loss of hours at work [ 5 Answers ]

I am currently working a hospitality job while going through college. I applied for and have received full time hours (30+) Recently a new person has been doing the schedule. This person has made it known they don't like me personally because of my lifestyle. I have never called off work and am...

6 weeks pregnant should I cut down on hours of work? [ 6 Answers ]

I found out I was 6 weeks and 2 days pregnant, this is my second time becoming pregnant,the first one ended in a m/c in June. I am working 40 hours plus time spend in court, should I cut it down by at least 8 hours a week in order to give the baby and I a rest?

Lack of money, lack of job, banging my head against a brick wall it seems. [ 8 Answers ]

OK, this has been going on for over 6 months now and I need for it to end... ive not done anything and neither has he, but I am finding it very hard to get a job, the last job I had six months ago was temp,they let me go after a month being there. I have been trying hard to get work, as of yet its...

Happy Passover, Happy Easter! [ 22 Answers ]

I just wanted to wish all my friends on the board greetings for the spring season... If you're Jewish like my family, a very Happy Pesach and Good Seder! If you're Christian, a very Happy Easter! If you have some other religious practice that I've missed, please add it here if you like,...

View more questions Search