Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Marriedguy Posts: 474, Reputation: 115

Mar 10, 2008, 07:54 AM
    The Moment of Truth
    This show is destroying the fabric of our society.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2008, 08:53 AM
    Yes and no. People allow their greed to control them. They're willing to sacrifice their relationships with their spouses, children, parents, etc. just to win some quick cash. I wouldn't necessarily say the show is destroying our society, but rather that it's bringing to light what our society has become.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 10, 2008, 09:04 AM
    I personally don't enjoy the show, I think it's sad that this passes for entertainment. Have we really become so jaded that this is acceptable?

What happened to good shows, did the writers run out of ideas?

Personally I miss shows like "Little House on the Prairie", "Love Boat" etc. Oh the good old days when swearing wasn't allowed and sex wasn't the only thing that sold. Just imagine what it will be like 20 years from now. If it gets much worse I'm throwing out my television.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2008, 09:08 AM
    Here's a sample of that crapfest:

Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2008, 09:13 AM
    I personally think that they are actors. What person in their right mind would want to do something that could hurt themselves and those that they love. I hate the show!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 10, 2008, 09:15 AM
    Tuscany,
    That's my take on most of those new game shows. No one is that peppy and excited all the time like they seem to be on those shows.
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2008, 09:15 AM
    I agree Karma. I just want my 2 1/2 Men back!!
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2008, 09:29 AM
    OH MY! I hadn't seen this TV show... wow... Another unknown reason why not watching TV is a good thing for me.

No words... wow... if those people were not actors, that totally ruined their marriage for money!! Wow...

There are just some things that shouldn't be acceptable...

Wow... the height of greed...
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Mar 10, 2008, 09:38 AM
    So... don't watch it.

If not enough people watch it, it gets cancelled.

People fail to realize that if they don't watch the CRAP that's on TV, the crap goes away. Your power of determining what goes on TV is HUGE.

1. Don't watch the crap.
    2. Note who the sponsors of the crap are, if you can't not watch it for whatever reason. Notify those sponsors (it's usually as easy as clicking a button on a website) that you will not be using their product because they sponsor crap.
    3. This is the important one--FOLLOW THROUGH on #2.

I'm so tired of hearing people complain about what's on TV, and how horrible it is, yet no one ever seems to realize that they have a voice in what goes on the air. They vote with MONEY.

All you have to do is speak up to the right people--the sponsors.

Mar 10, 2008, 09:50 AM
    LOL I like it it's a cross between Jerry Springer and who wants to be a millionaire. In this case who wants to be a thousandaire. Its entertainment bad or good. I was not really dead serious about destroying the fabric statement...
    Pets Expert

Mar 10, 2008, 09:55 AM
    It's like watching a train wreck. I personally have only seen it once and now it's vetoed in my home. I agree Synnen and I'm taking your advice.
    bEaUtIfUlbRuNeTtE Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2008, 10:12 AM
    Like anything else in society it's entertainment and as humans (or rather as American's) we enjoy watching people being exploited in the most gruesome ways. These shows (survivor, beauty and the geek, american's next top model) are out to expose those who will compete to win. They will compete to be the best. They will compete to get a title in this world, to win money over love.

Just remember, these people signed up for this show. They knew what they were getting into. This obviously isn't a home video but actors. People who are willing to ruin everything they have for money/fame. Even if 50% of it's true.

If a married couple has problems, isn't it only right to work them out instead of being humiliated and hurt in front of thousands of people? Like I said, it's all about the fame and fortune.

It makes me sick.

I have never heard of this show but after watching that clip that NeedKarma posted, I'm glad I've never heard of it.
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2008, 10:13 AM
    I guess I'm too much of a glass-half-full, perpetual-Barbie-girl-optimist, but that tiny clip posted in this thread was enough for me... making a conscious decision to watch people ruin their lives in the pursuit of greed is too much for my simple, emotion-driven heart. I tend to try and fix things :)

I'll not be watching any more of that show! Give me Audrey Hepburn and I'm happy! :)

(And I've honestly not ever watched a single episode of reality TV... its just not my cup of tea!)

Mar 10, 2008, 10:26 AM
    :o I'm feeling bad for watching...
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2008, 10:55 AM
    I'll admit, I watch it too... I just get amazed every week at people's selfishness. There was a woman whose ex-boyfriend came on and asked her, "If I wanted to get back together, would you leave your husband for me?" She answered YES. Why shouldn't that be exposed? Her husband has a right to know what type of person his wife really is.

Again, it comes back to the greed. This woman was willing to sacrifice her marriage and she did it in front of millions. How do you think she gets looked at in the grocery store? "Hey, it's that woman from Moment of Truth who said she'd rather be with her ex than her husband." I bet that was worth the money... *please note my sarcasm :D*
    bEaUtIfUlbRuNeTtE Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2008, 11:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384
    I'll admit, I watch it too....I just get amazed every week at people's selfishness. There was a woman whose ex-boyfriend came on and asked her, "If I wanted to get back together, would you leave your husband for me?" She answered YES. Why shouldn't that be exposed?! Her husband has a right to know what type of person his wife really is.

Again, it comes back to the greed. This woman was willing to sacrifice her marriage and she did it in front of millions. How do you think she gets looked at in the grocery store? "Hey, it's that woman from Moment of Truth who said she'd rather be with her ex than her husband." I bet that was worth the money.... *please note my sarcasm :D*
    A person doesn't need to go on television to be told the truth. The woman could've just told her husband in an un-publicized TV way, like telling her husband she was leaving him for her ex.
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2008, 02:49 PM
    But once again, it was her greed. She was willing to bare her soul to make a quick buck. And we as a society are willing to watch; that's why it's still on. Sad, but true... no?
    Pets Expert

Mar 10, 2008, 03:21 PM
    It is sad. People do love a drama, especially when it's not happening to them. I think that's why the show is so popular. There are tons of people out there that know that they would be opening a huge can of worms if they went on that show. That they are actually able to find anyone that is willing to do this, just shows how desperate some people are. They must have been told what the show would entail. I mean really, did they think the host was going to ask whether they enjoyed sewing? Of course not.

As long as there are greedy unscrupulous people out there, and as long as there are people that are entertained by these people, shows like this will continue to be aired. I for one am not going to support them, but that's just my opinion.
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2008, 06:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen
    So...don't watch it.

If not enough people watch it, it gets cancelled.

People fail to realize that if they don't watch the CRAP that's on TV, the crap goes away. Your power of determining what goes on TV is HUGE.

1. Don't watch the crap.
    2. Note who the sponsors of the crap are, if you can't not watch it for whatever reason. Notify those sponsors (it's usually as easy as clicking a button on a website) that you will not be using their product because they sponsor crap.
    3. This is the important one--FOLLOW THROUGH on #2.

I'm so tired of hearing people complain about what's on TV, and how horrible it is, yet no one ever seems to realize that they have a voice in what goes on the air. They vote with MONEY.

All you have to do is speak up to the right people--the sponsors.
    I have not watched it since the first night and even then I had to turn it off before it was even over. I like drama (Big Brother, Survivor, Dancing with the Stars all have drama), but not when it could hurt innocent people. If you are doing it to yourself (camping out in the jungle with 20 strangers for example), then it is fine, when you hurt someone else... that is not good.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bi polar moment [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, does a person that has bipolar disorder all of the sudden start to curse at someone for no reason?he said he could feel it coming on I'm not understanding all of the bipolar thing it sounds like an excuse to say whatever you really want to say when you get agrivatted.:confused:

Weak Moment, Am I doing the right thing ? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a few threads on here about my story, but baiscally my gal left me last summer after 2 years with me to go back to her controlling abusive ex, this is the 3rd time back with him, first 2 were before me (she says he has changed). Anyhow,she moved in with him after 2 months and got engaged,...

Not worried at moment but getting there. [ 2 Answers ]

... hi... umm.. im a 19 yr old male and puberty in my family runs kind of late, the guys usually don't finish till close to or after their 19th yr, but for the past few days I've noticed a small bump on the underside of my penis (shaft). Its not exactly sore as in the aspect of constant. Its mainly...

Unexplainable moment [ 7 Answers ]

Is it possible for someone to walk into a room and the smell of my perfume be so strong that it gagged him, yet I lived two states away, and hadn't been there for months? What does that mean? We'd been friends for over 20 years, and I hadn't lived by him for 16 of those years, we discovered that...

Moment of inertia [ 2 Answers ]

what is the moment of inertia of a hollow sphere with mass 5 kg and radius .5m I know the equation is 2/3mR^2 but I don't know how to include the units

View more questions Search