Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    poseidon Posts: 244, Reputation: 55

Mar 10, 2008, 04:45 AM
    Dual Boot - Vista & XP
    Hi again everyone.

I used to have a dual boot system for XP & 98, but I had to install the 98 OS before the XP OS.

I now want to install a dual boot with Vista installed first and then XP. These Operating Systems will be installed on separate partitions on my Hard Drive.

From what I have read about this, it appears that there will be no problems or conflicts if I install these systems in this order (Vista and then XP).

Is this correct?

I have in the past used this dual boot system but installed XP before Vista. This appeared to work fine.

Thank you all in advance.

Cy
    (Poseidon)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 10, 2008, 05:50 AM
    Theorectically, if you install to separate partitions this should work.

Mar 10, 2008, 12:00 PM
    Not necessarily. Some can be done on the same partition, not that I would try it.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 10, 2008, 02:22 PM
    Both XP and Vista will happily co-exist.
    Yes being on separate partitions is the way to go.
    The good thing is neither has a requirement to be on the C: drive as Win9x did.
    Personally I found it easier to install XP first and then Vista, as Vista replaces the boot loader.
    Not to sure how it would work the other way around, you might need to use a separate boot loader.

Mar 11, 2008, 12:24 AM
    Thank you Scott and Curlyben for your invaluable advice.

I may install the Vista OS first and then the XP OS and see how it goes.

I can't give either of you an 'official' rating I'm afraid .

I have the 'Spread Some Rep' sign coming up, having given you both a rating previously, to this Q (Scott) and a previous Q (Curlyben).

Cy
    (Poseidon)

Mar 11, 2008, 05:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by poseidon
    Thank you Scott and Curlyben for your invaluable advice.

I may install the Vista OS first and then the XP OS and see how it goes.

I can't give either of you an 'official' rating I'm afraid .

I have the 'Spread Some Rep' sign coming up,
    No problem, both Ben and I are more concerned that we know you received and appreciated the advice then any points we might get from a rating.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2008, 08:39 PM
    This site seems to have some good advice for vista - xp dual boot system

Easily Set Default OS in a Windows Vista and XP Dual-boot Setup :: the How-To Geek
    drsam Posts: 49, Reputation: 3

Mar 19, 2008, 10:23 AM
    Heeeeeyyyyyyyyyyy go ahead intall it, even I my laptop is running on XP and 2000 and its doing fine...
    summoner2100 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Sep 8, 2008, 06:48 PM
    I have had a dual boot running between XP and Vista Business. It worked fine, either way you install it. The one issue you might have is XP might not give access to Vista, or vice versa. The best way to fix this is to edit the bootloader with Easybcd.

You can download from here.

Download EasyBCD 1.7.2 - NeoSmart Technologies

Sep 9, 2008, 12:49 AM
    Hello Summoner2100,

Thanks for your reply,

It appears the reason I could not clean install Vista as the 1st OS in a dual boot is due to my having the Vista Premium upgrade version only and with this version it will not allow me to. I cannot simply do a clean install of Vista and then XP as my secondary system. I can only use the premium upgrade to 'upgrade' XP to Vista, or so I thought.

I have since discovered a way in which I can do a 'clean' install of Vista and get rid of all XP files.

I can then do an install of XP which will be my secondary OS, if I decide to.

Poseidon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My computer won't dual boot [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have a problem with my computer not dual booting. I had windows xp installed and then I installed unbuntu linux. I don't know what went wrong but know when I start my computer it will go dirrectly and boot in linux. It won't give an option to choose windows or linux. I did not reformat...

Issue when trying to hide XP from Vista on a dual boot machine [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am running Vista Ultimate and XP Pro on a dual boot machine in two separate arrays (2 WD raptors configured as Raid 0 for Vista and 2 WD raptors configured as Raid 0 for XP Pro, for a total of 4 hard drives). The issue is this: I loaded Vista first and then XP, after installing XP I...

Boot linux from an external hard drive dual boot? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I boot linex from an external hard drive dual boot. How do I do it ?

Dual boot problem [ 13 Answers ]

Have win.xp home-SP2.pent 4,1.6.40g HD, 512 ram.a2nd-HD, 100GIG.Idid clean install of xp then using norton ghost cloned it over to 2nd HD.Also have partition commander to give doul boot,iwould like to save c:drive as a back up.useing my d: 100 g.for every day use. The problem I have is when I down...

Dual boot [ 3 Answers ]

I was dual booting win 2000 and xp then I removed 2000 but when my computer boots the message select the operating system to start still apears how do I get rid of this

View more questions Search