Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dominofarrell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2006, 07:37 AM
    Length of time for primary residence
    What is the length of time required by law that you need to be in a house (as your primary residence) before you can sell it?
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Jan 31, 2006, 09:37 AM
    There is no law regulating your stay in a primary residence before you can sell it. To have your gain on the sale be tax free, you have to wait two years. On most Owner Occupied (primary residence) mortgages, there is some verbage in the paperwork, that you INTEND to remain in the property for at least 12 months. This is to discourage people from using Owner Occupant (at a lower rate than Non Owner Occupant) mortgages to build a portfolio of rental properties. This verbage has no bearing on you selling the property after a short time. I hope that this covers your question.
    LeeAnnMemphis Posts: 58, Reputation: 6

Feb 3, 2006, 05:41 AM
    For tax requirements:
    Any gain on the sale of the home over $250,000 for single must be reported, $500,000 for married.
    You have to of lived in the house for 2 of the last 5 years to not have to report any gain under $250k ($500k married) on your tax return. So if you lived there 1 year, rented it out for a year or two, and then lived there another year you would still meet the 2 year requirement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Source of income different from state of work and residence [ 1 Answers ]

I was in F1- OPT from feb 1 of 2005 and got employed by a firm in NJ and am working as a IT tech support for a client in Nashville ,TN. I have been living in TN for about an year now. I have been paying the federal tax (15%) and also the NJ state tax till date. From August I have transferred to an...

Order of primary master,etc. [ 3 Answers ]

When setting up computer, what is the order of the devices The hard drive is primary master but I don't know what order to install the other three drives. I have a DVD Rom drive, a CD-RW drive and an internal Iomega Zip drive and don't know what should be primary slave, secondary master and...

Primary school education - catholic [ 1 Answers ]

Does the parent of a child in catholic school in New York State have the absolute right to have the child transferred to another class? And where can I find the rules or statutes pertaining to this?

New GP Contract and primary care products [ 1 Answers ]

How does the new GP contract affect the promtion of a Pharmaceutical companies primary care products?

View more questions Search